Controversial opinions on metal

I agree and its something that really gets on my tits. When the new Metallica album comes out there will certainly be plenty of talk about it just because it's Metallica while their are plenty of other oldschool Thrash bands having much better comebacks in fact if I recall Overkill has been doing really good lately.

I just think it's funny how Metallica are by far the most popular Thrash act and many will argue they are the greatest metal band ever yet I'm not just saying this because I'm not a fan in the first place but they seem to be having the most trouble as far as making a decent comeback.

Have you ever watched their documentary 'Some Kind of Monster'? After watching it, I realized that they were a ruined band who were incapable of creating any music worth a damn anymore. Most poignant for me was the scene where Lars was whining incessantly about having to play a few complicated drum parts again in the studio. At this point I realized that they havent been a genuine band for years, and are basically still together so that they can reap whatever royalties possible from their music. I think that the delay in releasing the new album comes from lack of necessity; they dont need to because they already make enough money. The album is only to shut up the naysayers while also being a cash grab. Surely my view is cynical, but I cant really view the guys otherwise after seeing this film. They havent released a single bit of music worth writing home about in over 20 years, despite never breaking up. God damn do I hate Metallica.

Have you ever watched their documentary 'Some Kind of Monster'? After watching it, I realized that they were a ruined band who were incapable of creating any music worth a damn anymore. Most poignant for me was the scene where Lars was whining incessantly about having to play a few complicated drum parts again in the studio. At this point I realized that they havent been a genuine band for years, and are basically still together so that they can reap whatever royalties possible from their music. I think that the delay in releasing the new album comes from lack of necessity; they dont need to because they already make enough money. The album is only to shut up the naysayers while also being a cash grab. Surely my view is cynical, but I cant really view the guys otherwise after seeing this film. They havent released a single bit of music worth writing home about in over 20 years, despite never breaking up. God damn do I hate Metallica.

I saw that film too and came to the same conclusion. I didn't end up hating them for it - the film was pretty funny on the whole, almost like a fly on the wall comedy (except even better because it's actually real). But you do get a sense that they're creatively finished. I remember one part where they're discussing whether some of the riffs they wrote for St Anger are shit, and they've lost the ability to even tell.

Last edited:

I watched like the first 10 minutes of it and I think I quit watching out of disgust (That could be me making up memories though). I do think I hate Metallica as well but I feel odd saying that. One being that it's not entirely for musical reasons but also they do have some songs I like a lot especially on Ride the lightning but even with RTL I don't find it a solid album from beginning to end. I appreciate that Master of Puppets feels like an ambitious album but it seems like it looks better on paper if you will. I find I enjoy the songs on Master of Puppets a lot more when just listening to them in my head.

Also this may be beating a dead horse but I do really hate AJFA.

I think that Kill 'em All rules and Ride the Lightning is almost as good. The next two also have some good stuff. I could leave the rest. I've never even bought any of them after ...And Justice for All because nothing grabbed me when listening with friends.

I watched like the first 10 minutes of it and I think I quit watching out of disgust (That could be me making up memories though).

Honestly watch it again, their bitchiness and pettiness is so hilarious I could almost believe it were scripted if it weren't for the fact that it completely damaged their credibility. Also Lars Ulrich's dad is great.

seriously though i think the black album's a half-great album for angsty teens and load is a half-great album for drunk adults, which is a small step up. i certainly wouldn't go as far as recommending reload though, i'm not some kind of monster.

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
I think that Kill 'em All rules and Ride the Lightning is almost as good. The next two also have some good stuff. I could leave the rest. I've never even bought any of them after ...And Justice for All because nothing grabbed me when listening with friends.

I like some of the songs on it fine but for the most part it either bores me or annoys me. Jump in the fire I just can't stand for some reason.

i used to hate jump in the fire. for some reason it grows perpetually. there isn't a weak song on there IMO (unless you count the instrumental which is meh by metallica standards), but i'm not sure there's a really great one either save 'the four horsemen'.

My issue with stuff like The black album and the two Load's is that it's just too far outside of my musical tastes. I don't really like 90s style rock at all with a few exceptions ofcourse.

I think the energy on Kill 'em All is the best part of the album and what really makes it pop for me. The songs themselves go from good to very good without ever being truly great in songwriting but it's an album where I find it easy to look past that.

i used to hate jump in the fire. for some reason it grows perpetually. there isn't a weak song on there IMO, but i'm not sure there's a really great one either save 'the four horsemen'.
Yeah The four horseman is my fav on that album and tbh I like Seek and Destroy a lot which you wouldn't think I'd care for. It just seems dated as a Thrash album to me like it's only real importance is that it's Metallica's first album and its considered the first Thrash album. I get this feeling if it was released two years later and by a different band it would be seen as generic and forgettable.

My issue with stuff like The black album and the two Load's is that it's just too far outside of my musical tastes. I don't really like 90s style rock at all with a few exceptions ofcourse.

i'm totally cool with that. i just don't get why people think it's such a bad example of what it's trying to be - it isn't taken on its own terms at all. i'm way more irritated by embarrassing pseudo-thrash like 'the struggle within' and 'holier than thou' than i am by some solid as fuck groove rock that isn't trying to be anything but. it's one of those cases where if people were exposed to the same kind of thing by an unknown band, many of them would be way less harsh on it.

there are actually three strong songs on RELOAD too but.... yeah, it's pretty bad in the main.

Reactions: The Ozzman
I like how this place dies after all that arguing over Sabbath being metal ends.

That argument itself is what killed it, not the ending of it.

Manilla Road do have some really awesome albums, but the production on some of them and the vocals put me off from really getting into them the way I'd like to. They do write outstanding riffs, though. The only heavy metal band that beats them on that front is Mercyful Fate.

Production is great on their first 6, which ones did you have in mind?

Not surprised about your feelings about the vocals though, you did after all say that the most listenable song between Piece Of Mind and Powerslave was an instrumental song.

Production is great on their first 6, which ones did you have in mind?

Not surprised about your feelings about the vocals though, you did after all say that the most listenable song between Piece Of Mind and Powerslave was an instrumental song.

Open The Gates in particular - just seems really muddy and far off sounding. Not the worst recording I've ever heard by a long shot, but not worthy of the songwriting, or of a fourth album.

I think it's that warble thing he does with his voice on high notes that annoys me - same reason I can't listen to Grave Digger anymore. I'll get over it though.