Controversial opinions on metal

It annoys me how bands think that when another genre comes along that's more popular than the one they started in, they can just get a haircut and change their sound and nobody's going to be pissed off and everybody's going to love it. Has that ever actually worked?

It annoys me how bands think that when another genre comes along that's more popular than the one they started in, they can just get a haircut and change their sound and nobody's going to be pissed off and everybody's going to love it. Has that ever actually worked?

pantera2.jpg

...becomes...

Pantera-25-Bands-List.jpg

...goes on to sell millions of albums and acts like their early era never happened.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
well that's because "old Pantera" didnt even really have a fanbase and where nowhere near being popular. I don't remember anybody listening to that shit. But Slayer, Sepultura and Metallica already had huuuuge fanbases when they decided to chase the trend.

well that's because "old Pantera" didnt even really have a fanbase and where nowhere near being popular. I don't remember anybody listening to that shit. But Slayer, Sepultura and Metallica already had huuuuge fanbases when they decided to chase the trend.

I wasn't around at the time so I often had to wonder how well known they were back in the day.

Black Album is fuckin' garbage, one of the most traumatizing albums to be released during its day.
fyp

Again, Load is decent Sabbath worship. It's not a good Metallica album, but it's a good album on its own merits. I guarantee if a different band released that very same album it would be nearly universally praised.

Nah, Wherever I May Roam and My Friend of Misery are better than most of those tracks (especially 2x4 and The House Jack Built).

i dig the '2x4' climax around 4 minutes and i'd love 'the house jack built' if it WAS 4 minutes and the stupid shit was erased, but i guess i accept this counter. 'wherever i may roam' is probably objectively the best song on there if not my personal favourite - one of the reasons i said 'virtually'. 'my friend of misery' is a weird one, but pretty likeable in its tongue-in-cheek way i suppose. aside from the section at 3:15-4:50 and the way the chorus transitions back into the opening riff, i like it more conceptually than in reality - the chorus itself and the last couple mins etc are pretty dull. but maybe i'm just the kind of person the song is talking about lol

should point out this was THE album that opened the floodgates for me, the single most revelatory musical experience of my life, so it's hard to be objective especially when every time i revisit it is like a reminder of my growing desensitisation. it's a pretty complex relationship.

@rusty water

2bfa2b5f9a9a2e897273e16ee6544fc5.jpg