Controversial opinions on metal

Lets just all agree the improvisation on Moon child was pathetic and they really should've tried to come up with something more inspired.

I don't love Moonchild as an individual track but as buildup to the ecstatic intro of the title track it works perfectly. But then I also think that album is basically the best thing ever so

One potentially actually controversial opinion: I can barely distinguish any of the singers on their pre-Belew material and couldn't care less. Before I even read into the various line-ups I assumed it was the same dude on all of those albums tbh.

Dude what the fuck. Greg Lake is the best vocalist they ever had. Evidence:

Reactions: CiG
I just re-listened to it and I think I agree, it's the album's lowest point. It picks up around the 9:30 mark though and somewhat redeems itself but still not quite.

Yeah it's the lowest point also while I think it's a really good song I do feel I talk to the wind drags on a bit too long. For some reason it reminds me of Fool on the hill which I think is a better song so that hurts it for me. I will say though that 20 Century Schizoid man is one of the most brilliant openers ever and Epitaph is epic.

Honestly, In The Court Of The Crimson King is not my favourite album by them in the first place.

I pretty much prefer everything up to Red and hell, I even prefer Discipline.

I think I mentioned the only other album I listened to thoroughly was Red which I think I liked better but I still didn't think it was one of the best albums I ever heard. It does deserve a relisten though.

Here's one that'll seem more backwards than Kris Kross to probably all of you. I enjoy and spin With Fear.... more than The Red in the Sky is Ours.

I also actually like the production on TRitSIO, even though I'm well aware it's shoddy and from what i remember in that Swedish Death Metal book, a horror to the band and done by someone who knew nothing about recording metal. In any case, I actually don't mind it because the production is so different from everything else of the time, and somehow actually sort of works with the single string counterpoint tremolo. In any case, the sound of With Fear is much better, and it's a vastly underrated album. People can jerk off to the originality of the debut, or the watered down melodies of the later shit masqueraded by a decent tone, but the sophomore never gets the respect it deserves (at least, from what I have gathered around this thing called the internet)

Reactions: Phylactery
Big KC fan boy here. l love the first 8 albums up to Beat really. mid 80's KC blows but they came back superbly with Thrak.
Other favourite prog stuff - Gentle Giant, Brand X, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Gong (especially with Alan Holdsworth) Ayers Rock, UK
Lenny White solo stuff blah blah blah

Here's one that'll seem more backwards than Kris Kross to probably all of you. I enjoy and spin With Fear.... more than The Red in the Sky is Ours.

I also actually like the production on TRitSIO, even though I'm well aware it's shoddy and from what i remember in that Swedish Death Metal book, a horror to the band and done by someone who knew nothing about recording metal. In any case, I actually don't mind it because the production is so different from everything else of the time, and somehow actually sort of works with the single string counterpoint tremolo. In any case, the sound of With Fear is much better, and it's a vastly underrated album. People can jerk off to the originality of the debut, or the watered down melodies of the later shit masqueraded by a decent tone, but the sophomore never gets the respect it deserves (at least, from what I have gathered around this thing called the internet)

That's because With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness is massively inconsistent in quality. "The Break of Autumn" and "Primal Breath" are among the most inventive, passionate and breathtaking death metal songs I've ever heard. The drop in quality after "Primal Breath" is hugely noticeable. The following songs blend into an incoherent mess and they don't flow very well, despite having some interesting ideas in them. The production on it also doesn't suit some of the thrashier numbers, what with its razor thin guitar tone and thick layer of fuzz. Old Waind's is a huge fanboy of this album, so you're not alone.

The Red in the Sky is Ours is undoubtedly the superior record, not only because it's more consistent, but also I think it reaches higher peaks at its best (see "Kingdom Gone", "Through Gardens of Grief", "Within" and "Neverwhere"). I agree about the production on it, it's very fitting for the record and original. Originality is the name of this incredible record.