Controversial opinions on metal

Not sure what the ? Is for. Gotta explain what you're confused about. Paranoid the song though was a last minute adition to add leanth to the album however it ended up being a classic.

A bit confused by your definition of what filler is. Obviously the band liked the song, or they wouldn't have made it both the second track on the album and the title track.

A bit confused by your definition of what filler is. Obviously the band liked the song, or they wouldn't have made it both the second track on the album and the title track.

A filler I would say is something that was made to fill in more space for the album. Im not saying they didn't like it but they didn't put as much time into it as the other tracks and I doubt they expected it to be such a massive hit. I don't think filler necessarily means bad or poor songs. It's easy to see though where Paranoid was something they just came up with last second.

Paranoid by Black Sabbath was a filler and listening to it you can easily tell. It's still a classic and their second most famous song.

That would be a good comparison if we were only talking about singles and not the band's entire output. All of their acclaimed albums have large amounts of filler on them. The Beatles have a lot of songs on their most popular albums that are definitely just filling space and not offering anything.

vvvv

A lot of the "Paranoid" album was written around the time of our first album,"Black Sabbath". We recorded the whole thing in about 2 or 3 days, live in the studio. The song "Paranoid" was written as an afterthought. We basically needed a 3 minute filler for the album, and Tony came up with the riff. I quickly did the lyrics, and Ozzy was reading them as he was singing.

Paranoid was also used as the name of the album, and somewhat unusually, the word paranoid is never mentioned in the lyrics. Originally the band had wanted to call the album "War Pigs" after the song of the same name, but the record company persuaded them to use Paranoid instead because it was less offensive.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_(Black_Sabbath_song)

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
That would be a good comparison if we were only talking about singles and not the band's entire output. All of their acclaimed albums have large amounts of filler on them. The Beatles have a lot of songs on their most popular albums that are definitely just filling space and not offering anything.

I disagree since with most of their albums Even the weakest songs are very enjoyable to me.

No one's saying it's not a great song but I was using it as evidence even a filler can turn out to be a great song.

Not saying you did. But there are plenty of people who consider that track to be in the average to below average range. And like you said, the band members themselves weren't too fond of the track either(well at least when they first wrote it). But that all means jack shit to me.

It's funny and its not long enough to get on my nerves. Its not enough to fuck the album up. That's like saying Vol 4 is ruined by FX.

There are a lot of dumb songs on The Beatles alone, and quite a few on basically every one of their later albums too. Your comments about the song basically mean you're agreeing with what I said anyway, since it's clear that you don't have that opinion about all of their music. They're terribly inconsistent and filled every album out with mediocre songs that go nowhere.

Your comparison is shitty anyway since I never said that it ruins the album.

Not saying you did. But there are plenty of people who consider that track to be in the average to below average range. And like you said, the band members themselves weren't too fond of the track either(well at least when they first wrote it). But that all means jack shit to me.

I used to feel it wasn't very good and didn't get why it's so popular but I've grown to like it a lot more over time though I wouldn't say it's one of their best personally. It falls into that category of geniously simple.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
There are a lot of dumb songs on The Beatles alone, and quite a few on basically every one of their later albums too. Your comments about the song basically mean you're agreeing with what I said anyway, since it's clear that you don't have that opinion about all of their music. They're terribly inconsistent and filled every album out with mediocre songs that go nowhere.

Also, you're shitty at arguing since I never said it ruins the album.

You're getting to pissed off but while I don't think Would Honey pie is master songwriting I personally wouldn't take it off the album. I enjoy it and it adds to the charm of the album for me. I think all the other songs on the album are good.