Controversial opinions on metal

I agree that Coldplay is shit. Probably the first sensible thing you've said on this forum.

Radiohead on the other hand is not shit, they have some good stuff.

No Radiohead really doesn't.

Couldn't agree more. Great band, particularly on the more electronic/experimental albums like Kid A. The new album is really good too.

I love experimental music yet Kid A is mostly dull with some really annoying moments. They certainly don't deserve this massive hype as musical genius brought up by fans and critics. Cosplay I've only seen get hated on while Radiohead is treated like some revolutionary group that's super innovative and doing things that's never been done before when really they just a bland alternative rock group trying to be artsy but failing. Kid A is just poor man's krautrock.

No Radiohead really doesn't.

I love experimental music yet Kid A is mostly dull with some really annoying moments. They certainly don't deserve this massive hype as musical genius brought up by fans and critics. Cosplay I've only seen get hated on while Radiohead is treated like some revolutionary group that's super innovative and doing things that's never been done before when really they just a bland alternative rock group trying to be artsy but failing. Kid A is just poor man's krautrock.

Also the singer has got something wrong with his ear or eyes or something

Reactions: Satanstoenail

Link me to a krautrock band that in some way foreshadowed what Radiohead do, I'd be curious to hear that. Radiohead are probably my all time favourite band, at least in terms of how long I've been listening to them for. I've tried to find other music that even comes close to rivaling them, but so far I've been unsuccessful.

Also the singer has got something wrong with his ear or eyes or something

First time I heard the band was on SNL and both times they performed it's funny that I remember his awkward dancing and twitching or whatever the hell he was doing on stage more than the actual music which I can't remember what the two songs were like at all. Also his voice tends to be very grating for me personally.

I agree that their die-hard fans are generally annoying and probably overate them, just like Tool fans. I don't let that have any impact on my assessment of them, though.

Link me to a krautrock band that in some way foreshadowed what Radiohead do, I'd be curious to hear that. Radiohead are probably my all time favourite band, at least in terms of how long I've been listening to them for. I've tried to find other music that even comes close to rivaling them, but so far I've been unsuccessful.

That was pretty good, and I can definitely hear that Radiohead was probably influenced by them and other similar bands. But come on, it's just not on the same level. It sounds like an early demo Radiohead might have made while still trying to find their sound. The great thing about Electronic era Radiohead, too, is just how many others influences they obviously have - there's IDM in there, jazz, Eno-esque ambient music, and they keep up the quality level right the way through every album.

That was pretty good, and I can definitely hear that Radiohead was probably influenced by them and other similar bands. But come on, it's just not on the same level. It sounds like an early demo Radiohead might have made while still trying to find their sound. The great thing about Electronic era Radiohead, too, is just how many others influences they obviously have - there's IDM in there, jazz, Eno-esque ambient music, and they keep up the quality level right the way through every album.

That wasn't one of Faust's better songs I just picked it out because it sounded the most Radiohead like. I wouldn't think you'd be able to appreciate the more experimental side of Krautrock bands anyway.

KID A is the one radiohead album that does live up to the hype IMO. those are sophisticated, fluid soundscapes which come together into an organic whole defined by a distinctly modern set of neuroses. not that this is important at all but i know several krautrock fans who feel the same way.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
KID A is the one radiohead album that does live up to the hype IMO. those are sophisticated, fluid soundscapes which come together into an organic whole defined by a distinctly modern set of neuroses. not that this is important at all but i know several krautrock fans who feel the same way.

I've listened to it from beginning to end and I find it boring as hell and not very interesring. I can think of too many albums I find far more creative and interesting.

I don't get the people who think Kid A is anything but a flash of genius. Yes it borrows from krautrock and jazz and electronica and all that but it borrows from SO MANY PLACES and weaves everything together into something ridiculously cohesive. Sure there were krautrock bands that drew inspiration from equally far and wide (for their time - obviously they couldn't include genres that didn't exist yet) but show me a krautrock band that manages to maintain Kid A's level of compositional elegance for the duration of a full album without slipping into a 15-minute improv.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
I don't get the people who think Kid A is anything but a flash of genius. Yes it borrows from krautrock and jazz and electronica and all that but it borrows from SO MANY PLACES and weaves everything together into something ridiculously cohesive. Sure there were krautrock bands that drew inspiration from equally far and wide (for their time - obviously they couldn't include genres that didn't exist yet) but show me a krautrock band that manages to maintain Kid A's level of compositional elegance for the duration of a full album without slipping into a 15-minute improv.

What do you have against improvs? Not sure I can show you anything because I don't think Kid A is elegant in the first place. How about Ege Bamyasi none of the tracks on the reach the 15 minute mak. It's not Krautrock but Another Green world blows Kid A out the water.