Controversial opinions on metal

If Radiohead are 'overrated' it's only because they're one of the most consistently creative bands out there and they get praise heaped on them from all angles because of it.

And massive lol at rusty water calling Johnny Greenwood a shit musician because he doesn't play scales.

Gna have to back up TB here Cassette, you do seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time here in a strop about something. Not that I'm judging - you're just, uh, a very passionate defender of your opinions.

Who here doesn't defend their own opinions passionately? That's not even a criticism TB made of me, so you're siding with something he didn't even say.

As to the claim that I disproportionately get into strops on UM, prove it if you like. I think you'll find you're wrong though, there's only a few threads that are especially receptive to debates. This thread, Mort thread, news thread, politics thread.

A fraction of the threads I use in here.

Last edited:
If Radiohead are 'overrated' it's only because they're one of the most consistently creative bands out there and they get praise heaped on them from all angles because of it.

And massive lol at rusty water calling Johnny Greenwood a shit musician because he doesn't play scales.
I would expect a band who is so consistently creative to make music that's actually interesting.

@rusty water

The song linked directly above my post seems to use the phrygian dominant mode, which proves that Radiohead is acquainted with scales and uses them in their music, although I couldn't say how often they use this type of thing in their music because I don't listen to them.

Okay so after listening to all the songs linked, my feeling is that Radiohead are enjoyable in moderation, but 4 songs one after the other was a little monotonous for me.

They certainly have talent though, crafting emotional depth with what sounds like quite a simplistic structure, so I can't sympathise with that line of thought.
I can always appreciate it when emotionally complex music springs forth from something simple.

The second video, the models and style are taken
@rusty water

The song linked directly above my post seems to use the phrygian dominant mode, which proves that Radiohead is acquainted with scales and uses them in their music, although I couldn't say how often they use this type of thing in their music because I don't listen to them.

The pyramid song? I just watched that and there is no guitar in it that I noticed, just special sound effects like would hear on a film.

The second video, the models and style are taken

The pyramid song? I just watched that and there is no guitar in it that I noticed, just special sound effects like would hear on a film.

There is guitar in that song.

A quick Google search also shows that the guitar player of Radiohead arranged the strings and played the ondes Martenot in this song, which is the instrument that you hear prominently.

As I stated already, it's clear that Radiohead uses scales in their music, and this particular song uses one in an arrangement made by the guitarist you claimed does not understand them.

There is guitar in that song.

A quick Google search also shows that the guitar player of Radiohead arranged the strings and played the ondes Martenot in this song, which is the instrument that you hear prominently.

As I stated already, it's clear that Radiohead uses scales in their music, and this particular song uses one in an arrangement made by the guitarist you claimed does not understand them.

I said a concert I saw, the guitarist played no scales, it was a long time ago, maybe 20 years. I havent listened to them since as I find them very boring. I wouldnt and dont ever have a desire to play a Radiohead song. It isnt my cup of Tea. I do like Artistic music, and I can see that this is artistic, but theres something basic and simple about it, I am not fooled easily.

Well, unless its the guitarist whom is playing it on a piano. You need to understand what the discussion of scales with them is about before making sarcastic comments, as it makes you look foolish, not me.

Johnny Greenwood plays multiple instruments, arranges Radiohead's music, is responsible for much of the sampling/electronic stuff, and scores movie soundtracks, so I'm pretty sure he knows what a scale is.