Controversial opinions on metal

Who else was shocked when they first listened to Sad Wings and heard this song pop up? I was much younger t the time and rather immature so I thought it was a joke.

Mr TagoMago. that is an incongruous song. The beginning of it, the piano reminded me of `changes` from Sabbath volume 4. There is a riff Sabbath used that Im sure Priest copied for their `breaking the law` riff, it was part of the `Dirty Women ` riff or something they played from an early song of theirs, I cant recall which one at the moment, but it is identical. This Judas Priest track is an excellent bit of song writing,I was expecting from the intro from it to hear Halford start singing the first few lines of `cheers` ( where everybody knows your name ) theme tune.

Plenty of melody in Judas Priest. One of the more blatant examples is below. This isn't atypical of the music on their first few albums.

There's nothing sort of melodic about this. It's loaded with melody.

I will say this about that song, it demonstrates Halfords wonderful vocal range and ability, I bet he cant sing like that anymore. He has a great voice there. The guitarist is using a blues scale very effictively in the song too, it is used in a similar way to how David Gilmour plays them. Thanks for the song link, I enjoyed that.

Aye, this one from the old grey whistle test

The guitarists both using SG`s there. Maybe it is true that `the Ripper` was written about a type of fart that Halford likes to do where he forces his bottom into the chair and raises one of his buttocks and lets rip.

Last edited:
I was listening to Iron Maiden again for the first time in a while and tbh I actually seem to like them less now than I used to.

tbh, I don't listen to any bruce-era maiden anymore except for seventh son. It seemed to get old fast, but it was catchy. I still like to hear Fear of the Dark (live version).

Paul-era maiden is stronger to me. Prowler is my favorite maiden track.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
tbh, I don't listen to any bruce-era maiden anymore except for seventh son. It seemed to get old fast, but it was catchy. I still like to hear Fear of the Dark (live version).

Paul-era maiden is stronger to me. Prowler is my favorite maiden track.

Oh yeah the Bruce era has some really catchy stuff but like you said for me it gets old fast.