Controversial opinions on metal

Not metal but this tends to be controversial. I think Relayer is better than Close to the edge. (Both are amazing though).

I agree that it's not a genre in the same way I don't think Krautrock is a genre. They are more what I would call scenes I guess.

Those two things aren't even really comparable, because NWOBHM is specifically a movement of a certain era (late 70's/early 80's) whereas krautrock is mostly just about being from Germany.

Edit: which is why Yoda is a crackhead for saying Sad Wings Of Destiny is a NWOBHM album.

Not metal but this tends to be controversial. I think Relayer is better than Close to the edge. (Both are amazing though).

Close to the egde, the track, is just great escapism, quite possibly my own favourite Yes track. I need to give Relayer another listen, havent heard it for a while. I am as keen as anyone with the prog rock but I found Tales from Topographic Oceans hard going.

Those two things aren't even really comparable, because NWOBHM is specifically a movement of a certain era (late 70's/early 80's) whereas krautrock is mostly just about being from Germany.

Edit: which is why Yoda is a crackhead for saying Sad Wings Of Destiny is a NWOBHM album.

What? Krautrock is based on a musical movement in Germany mainly referring to bands from the late 60s and early 70s who played very experimental styles of rock, electronic, or simply avant garden in general. Scorpions are a German rock band but they are by no means Krautrock. Neither is Lucifers friend or Eloy who were more traditional prog rock.

Close to the Edge is my own favourite Yes track, it is great escapism. I need to give Relayer another listen, havent heard it for a while.

If I remember, NWOBHM was a term the journalists started in that era, in the music papers. Journalists can be such tossers. All of them from that era will now be in different jobs, and gone from music, whereas many of the bands are still around.

What? Krautrock is based on a musical movement in Germany mainly referring to bands from the late 60s and early 70s who played very experimental styles of rock, electronic, or simply avant garden in general. Scorpions are a German rock band but they are by no means Krautrock. Neither is Lucifers friend or Eloy who were more traditional prog rock.

Krautrock is not era-defined. It's merely German electronic/experimental rock music.

A bunch of Germans could start a krautrock band tomorrow.

Krautrock is not era-defined. It's merely German electronic/experimental rock music.

A bunch of Germans could start a krautrock band tomorrow.

Generally it does refer to bands from the 70s though, but most importantly it doesn't refer to any German band however at the same time much like NWOBHM while the band's share certain aspects their is really no uniform sound to call these genres.

Generally it does refer to bands from the 70s though, but most importantly it doesn't refer to any German band however at the same time much like NWOBHM while the band's share certain aspects their is really no uniform sound to call these genres.

NWOBHM is just any British heavy metal band active around the late 70's and early 80's. It's something that expired. Krautrock isn't the same or even similar.

Ive never liked the term `Heavy Metal`, I think it degrades the music. I have always thought it seems slightly mocking of it.

Ive never liked the term `Heavy Metal`, I think it degrades the music. I have always thought it seems slightly mocking of it.

I think it sounds like it was meant to sound as if it was a level above hard rock in a literal sense. I have more issue with the genre title 'harsh noise'

I've never liked the term "Extreme Metal" -- makes me feel like a douchebag. I just say I like metal and random person says "hey me too, did you hear the new Five Finger Death Punch?"...walk away.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
I like it personally. There always been something cool and visceral about saying or writing "death metal".

First time I heard the term death metal was from a kid who said Slipknot was death metal and said they were the only death metal band. At the time I thought it was a term he made up because I didn't think that sounded right. Now ofcourse I love saying death metal even if it's not my favorite genre.

A few people on here have a problem with the word "extreme" and I don't know why. Maybe it's because of where I live and it's not a term commonly used. I certainly don't run into those kids saying shit like "that was totally extreme dude!" if that's what you mean by douchebaggery.

It's a fine descriptor that encapsulates many genres of metal well and I have no issue using it as such.

I like it personally. There always been something cool and visceral about saying or writing "death metal".

Aye, I like the `death` part of the description but personally would prefer a more suitable noun at the end of it, one that gives it a more artistic or respecting title.