Controversial opinions on metal

Coma of Souls is fucking horrible, a sad attempt at selling out towards a Bay Area sound, and I really don't understand how People of the Lie (a veritable 0/10 song) is one of their most popular. I'd take Endorama over it.

You've had worse opinions so it's cool.

I mean there's still worse thrash from 1990 (e.g. The American Way) but I don't see why anyone would talk about that album when there was still so much great and creative stuff being done at the time.

I mean there's still worse thrash from 1990 (e.g. The American Way) but I don't see why anyone would talk about that album when there was still so much great and creative stuff being done at the time.

I don't get why Rust in piece is so highly regarded when it starts getting dull after the first two tracks. Holy Wars and Hangar 18 are two of the best starters but after that the album starts losing my interest.

There are plenty of 80s thrash albums better than both though so I guess it doesn't really matter. Best metal album of 1990 is Painkiller though.

I don't get why Rust in piece is so highly regarded when it starts getting dull after the first two tracks. Holy Wars and Hangar 18 are two of the best starters but after that the album starts losing my interest.

There are plenty of 80s thrash albums better than both though so I guess it doesn't really matter. Best metal album of 1990 is Painkiller though.

Every track on that album is extremely distinct, and aside from Dawn Patrol and the title track, they're all excellent. Five Magics, boring? Get past the intro and it's probably their single most complex song, riffs out the ass, but still really aggressive too.

I agree that Painkiller is excellent though. People that call it samey are full of shit.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Every track on that album is extremely distinct, and aside from Dawn Patrol and the title track, they're all excellent. Five Magics, boring? Get past the intro and it's probably their single most complex song, riffs out the ass, but still really aggressive too.

I agree that Painkiller is excellent though. People that call it samey are full of shit.

I dunno. It just started to lose my interest after the first two songs and I got bored but hey at least I could actually finish it so that's something. I'll give it another go tommorow.

You didn't think making a claim for best single metal album of 1990 wouldn't be controversial? Painkiller is a fine enough album, but Jesus fuck no to that shit.

I figure if one is to choose a best metal album of 1990 then Painkiller would be a very legitimate pick.

I mean Judas Priest is only the 2nd greatest metal band ever and Painkiller is one of the band's finest releases.

Last edited:

Rust In Piece is overrated - especially on this board, imo. You really think Painkiller is the best of 1990? Here is a quick list of albums I can think of that are better (without going to look up albums from that year)

Artillery - By Inheritance
Bathory - Hammerheart
Trouble - S/T
Nocturnus - The Key
Deicide - S/T

Reactions: CiG