Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah have to agree, Ride The Lightning is top quality thrash metal.

I'll say it has some of the best songs in thrash but if this makes sense I'd rather just listen to select tracks off of it every now and then rather than listen from beginning to end.

You couldn't be any more wrong about this. It's clearly Kreator's strongest album, and aside from being better produced than their previous efforts, it has very little in common with the bay area sound. Given your taste for more progressive thrash, your opinion on this is pretty bizarre.

@MrTagoMago Rust in Peace is also high quality throughout. Polaris is a stand out track for me.

Glad to see someone defend Coma of Souls and I'll give Rust in piece another listen probably later today.

Just to confirm can we all agree the version of Killing Technology that includes Too scared to scream and cockroaches is the definitive version?

Is there a version that doesn't include Too Scared To Scream? Otherwise, you bet!

Well the original vynil version didn't have those two tracks so they can be seen as bonus tracks I guess but they were on the cd version that was released the same year. I was never sure how all this works but I don't think the album feels right without those two songs. Too scared to scream certainly doesn't feel like a bonus track.

Not sure if tracks were different according to country (I'm in the U.S.) but you may have just proven me wrong, sir.

Not sure if tracks were different according to country (I'm in the U.S.) but you may have just proven me wrong, sir.

Well they were released on cd the same year as the original vynil. Previously they were released on an ep but I mean just can't imagine the album without them lol. I know the Japanese band Doom had a similar thing going with the album Incompetence where two tracks were only added to the cd version but weren't on the vynil.

Hammerheart is obviously the best album of 1990, it's the best album ever so...

It's shit, one of the worst of 1990.

Manilla Road - Courts of Chaos
Morgoth - The Eternal Fall

> Painkiller

lmao

You couldn't be any more wrong about this. It's clearly Kreator's strongest album, and aside from being better produced than their previous efforts, it has very little in common with the bay area sound. Given your taste for more progressive thrash, your opinion on this is pretty bizarre.

I don't consider it to be a particularly progressive album at all. It's full of somewhat melodic mid-tempo chugging not far removed from Master of Puppets material, but the arrangements are generally much simpler even relative to that one, let alone prog thrash proper. The production is nice, I don't mind that it's slick and accessible, I do mind the uber bland riffs and drumming though.

I don't consider it to be a particularly progressive album at all. It's full of somewhat melodic mid-tempo chugging not far removed from Master of Puppets material, but the arrangements are generally much simpler even relative to that one, let alone prog thrash proper. The production is nice, I don't mind that it's slick and accessible, I do mind the uber bland riffs and drumming though.

What it does well is to marry the weird unintuitively awesome riffing style of the previous releases with a sound that is slightly more layered and melodic. If it's accessible, it manages to be so without reducing the quality of the music, which is a rare feat. If you find it bland, that's either because you haven't given it a proper listen, or because you've listened to it too much.

Extreme Aggression or Pleasure to Kill might give it a run for its money, but Coma of Souls just feels more fully developed. It also sounds more like it was written as an album than a collection of tracks, so it flows more smoothly.

Reactions: Baroque