Controversial opinions on metal

Some of the post-reunion Mercyful Fate albums are actually really good. I think that most people know about In the Shadows but they definitely have others that are plenty worth hearing.

King Diamond has more good albums, and Andy LaRocque is an incredible guitarist, but nothing beats the first two MF albums. Also the lyrics/atmosphere on King Diamond releases can be a little faggy sometimes. I don't want to listen to songs about tea, grandmothers, or little girls called Madeline, I just do because the music happens to be awesome.

Doesn't the grandma make the boy cut off his mother's hand and drink her blood?

When you read the lyrics closely they're not too bad, but if you've just got the music on in the background all you hear is this sort of thing:

"GRANDMAAA! TIME FOR TEEAAA!"

"MOTHER'S LOOKING PALE. OH NOOOO!"

Yeah, that's really faggy, which seems to be Internally Deformed's standard criteria for determining if music is good since he uses the term constantly.

The real question is whether or not fagginess factors into the objective quality of music. ;)

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery
King Diamond is objectively awesome, which is why KD/MF are by far my favourite heavy metal bands. I'd just prefer if the aesthetic was a little more dark horror than children's book horror.

I also dislike this kind of thing (I posted it before somewhere, but w/e):

Faggy really is the best word for that.

Yeah I do, which is surprising given that my essays were just a hodgepodge of homophobic and racist slurs.

Edit: I'm racking my brain for a better word for what I dislike in the atmosphere of King Diamond albums, and the best I can come up with is campy.

London leatherboys
Nightmare's pleasure, what you've done
London leatherboys
All together
All together, nightmare's pleasure

Yeah, this doesn't seem gay at all.

You're being literal again.

For what it's worth though, these Jag Panzer lyrics aren't totally without homoerotic subtext:

Sweat dripping lords of the metal kind
Blow you out of sight...
Give 'em hell 'cause you're harder than steel
Oh, you're harder than steel, yeah, ya feel
All for yourself and no one else

Take it from me, I have an English degree.

Actually, this one's even better:

My sights are homing in, I feel the power surge
No time for excuses now that I have the urge
Madame and mister listen up and take heed
I was raised in hell and I'm spreading the seed...
So get down on your knees 'cause this time you're gonna pay

In fairness that's more indiscriminately bisexual than it is straight up homo though.

Just had a look at the track listing:

9 - ManUNkind

Also jesus fuck, the coverart:

20160818_193928_7549_939483.jpeg

Reactions: MrTagoMago