Controversial opinions on metal

OK now you sound kind of like an asshole. First off this is the controversial metal opinion thread so yeah I'm going to post controversial opinions. Second I went back and listened and said I like the Slayer albums from before Reign in blood and also said I can see why those albums are held in high regard even if they aren't personal favorites of mine. Also yeah I don't care for Iron Maiden even though I wanted to I just can't get into them. Sorry for being honest.

Well I didn't intend it to come across that so I apologise if it did. It just seems that you post a lot of opinions bashing classic bands/albums because you know it will get a rise out of people. but maybe I'm wrong about that and it just seems that way because this is like the only thread you post in. At least you don't post totally baseless and ignorant things like Rusty Water does. Also you do keep this thread alive which is good, it didn't see much action before you joined for a while.

And yes I know that you went and relistened to Hell Awaits and I respect that, I just can't fathom finding Dystopia to be better than it. Maybe you could explain what you like about Dystopia.

Well I didn't intend it to come across that so I apologise if it did. It just seems that you post a lot of opinions bashing classic bands/albums because you know it will get a rise out of people. but maybe I'm wrong about that and it just seems that way because this is like the only thread you post in. At least you don't post totally baseless and ignorant things like Rusty Water does. Also you do keep this thread alive which is good, it didn't see much action before you joined for a while.

And yes I know that you went and relistened to Hell Awaits and I respect that, I just can't fathom finding Dystopia to be better than it. Maybe you could explain what you like about Dystopia.

I never said I I liked Dystopia better did I? I just listened to it a while back and thought it was really good for a late release from a classic thrash band.

You just said it was really good without the qualifier of "for a late release from a classic band". That makes more sense. It's obviously better than anything Slayer or Metallica have done in years, not that I'm a huge fan of it or anything.

You just said it was really good without the qualifier of "for a late release from a classic band". That makes more sense. It's obviously better than anything Slayer or Metallica have done in years, not that I'm a huge fan of it or anything.

I probably should practice on putting things in context. I really don't always have an easy time really comparing things and saying which I think Is better. And while I do post what would be considered very controversial opinions they are in fact my opinion I mean if I was just trying to be an edgy hipster I wouldn't admit that Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are my favorite metal bands and I'd say shit like Lulu is the magnum opus of heavy metal.

there is something 'poseurish' about being a thrash band for an extended period of time. How 'angry' and 'aggressive' can you be well into adulthood? Thrash and punk seem to share a similar frustration out of being a young adult.

You're erroneously conflating 'angry' and 'aggressive' sounding music with 'angry' and 'aggressive' lyricism.

You can play in the most aggressive thrash band known to man but exclusively sing about galactic battles.

Possibly Controversial opinion. Raven is the best NWOBHM band despite Stay hard and The pack is back.

Really? They're so damn average.

Well I think they're okay actually, if overrated. The first two albums are superior to the later ones, and people probably wouldn't like them so much if it wasn't for the fact that their production is so much clearer than is the case with most NWOBHM.

The first two are cool, but hardly stand out from the NWOBHM thing in my opinion. They couldn't have continued on in that vein without wallowing in mediocrity, mostly because Paul was an extremely limited performer.

Probably, I pretty much skim over all the Voivod related comments.

Why?

You can play in the most aggressive thrash band known to man but exclusively sing about galactic battles.

I want to hear this band.

The first two are cool, but hardly stand out from the NWOBHM thing in my opinion. They couldn't have continued on in that vein without wallowing in mediocrity, mostly become Paul was an extremely limited performer.

We've had this debate before, lol. My thinking is that a limited vocal range does't necessarily make for limited music; if anything, it stops the music from becoming too reliant on vocal melodies (which are always less sophisticated than instrumental ones anyway). At any rate it's impossible to say how Iron Maiden would have evolved with Di'Anno, I just know I prefer his style.

I can't get into them, despite repeated attempts.

You're erroneously conflating 'angry' and 'aggressive' sounding music with 'angry' and 'aggressive' lyricism.

just because you play =/= are a good band who releases timeless albums

just because you play =/= are a good band who releases timeless albums

Agreed. That wasn't my point though. I was addressing your moronic claim that there is something 'poseurish' about being a thrash band for an extended period of time and how 'angry' and 'aggressive' can you be well into adulthood question.

Agreed. That wasn't my point though. I was addressing your moronic claim that there is something 'poseurish' about being a thrash band for an extended period of time and how 'angry' and 'aggressive' can you be well into adulthood question.

you didn't counter it, you did a shit 'not everyone is x' thing which does nothing

if you wanted to counter it, you'd have to address the 'element' part of the post