Controversial opinions on metal

you didn't counter it, you did a shit 'not everyone is x' thing which does nothing

if you wanted to counter it, you'd have to address the 'element' part of the post

If you insist. You say the 'element' is 'young' and 'sexually frustrated,' that's also moronic considering I would say an important 'element' to making thrash metal is often political/social dissatisfaction, Nuclear Assault for example.

Are you saying there are no old(er) people who are politically/socially dissatisfied?

Again, you're conflating sound with lyricism, Tankard were always heavy as fuck but they, from day 1, seemed more happy than angry.

Your opinion is just a bullshit cliché.

Certainly there are bands that try to remain young by making angry songs about the local church or bullying and it's obvious that their heart isn't in it, but the idea that making aggressive music when you're older = poseurish ignores that there is a definite separation between aggressive, angry sounding music and the mentality behind it.

Vektor are heavy, aggressive and boast vicious vocals, yet they're a bunch of sci-fi nerds. Fine, you claim I'm just bringing up outlying examples, but how many do I bring up before your generalisation falls apart?

Last edited:
It was just a guess, the being young aspect I would say is near certain. Sexually frustrated not so much, but who knows what fuels what. (No snatch -> politically active) I wouldn't say political/social dissatisfaction is different from 'being' young anyways, why do you think the most socially 'revolutionary' of western societies are college aged kids and not the 40 year olds?

I said poseurish anyways. It's quite rare to find a group of music makers to be that angry in their late 30s or something, especially if they already created music to 'release' that frustration. Sure, it can happen but zzz with this lame response. Goes nowhere anyways

I don't get how Tankard isn't part of the poserish part, they seem to be a Municipal Waste type band now

Certainly there are bands that try to remain young by making angry songs about the local church or bullying and it's obvious that their heart isn't in it, but the idea that making aggressive music when you're older = poseurish ignores that there is a definite separation between aggressive, angry sounding music and the mentality behind it.

it's not that they don't remain young via their music, it's that they cannot produce that music anymore. It's not there, the creativity, the passion, whatever.

Vektor being sci fi nerds has what to do with being aggressive? Reading their about section on facebook just sounds like an angsty teenager looking to find a way to explore himself musically. I would say they are already losing it but their debut is really solid

Yeah, I can see we're just not going to agree on this.

Vektor being sci fi nerds has what to do with being aggressive?

It proves that you don't need the youth-fueled anger which usually reveals itself via the accompanying lyricism to make aggressive music. Vektor have something going on that they could keep doing well into middle-agedness.

If anything, Metallica sounded more mature during their first 10 years than they do now.

If Motorhead counts then so should Judas Priest, and if Judas Priest counts then they win no competition.

I don't personally view Motörhead as part of the NWOBHM because they were a little early, but Judas Priest has been around since 1969 and is definitely not part of the NWOBHM.

Reactions: CiG
Anyone want a fresh NWOBHM thread? Seems like there's a lot of people here that like it well enough and it would probably be better for discussion sake to just make a new one and not bump an ancient thread full of dead posters.

Also we kinda discussed this but I don't see the point in seperating the NWOBHM bands from other artists who were basically doing the same kind of music be they from a different time or different country.

I actually think Blood Fire Death is overrated, although I still like it. Sure the opener and closer are epic and amazing, but the high speed thrashing of the tracks inbetween wears thin for me. I don't find them to be nearly as good as the most aggressive and violent tracks on Under the Sign...

I actually think Blood Fire Death is overrated, although I still like it. Sure the opener and closer are epic and amazing, but the high speed thrashing of the tracks inbetween wears thin for me. I don't find them to be nearly as good as the most aggressive and violent tracks on Under the Sign...

Its still better than any Norwegian black metal album ;)