Controversial opinions on metal

Very tough though. NWOBHM has so much to offer, we owe so much to, and has hidden gems all over.

NWOBHM is so hit or miss so American heavy metal is probably better overall, but then you have those spikes like for example Maidens run that are so fucking hard to top.

Reactions: CiG
Majority of my favourite bands are American heavy metal bands. Legend, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Manowar, Brocas Helm, Coven, Omen.

I'm going to go ahead and also say that I think American doom metal is a better "scene" too, even though people seem to obsess over the idea of English doom metal (understandable, they have Black Sabbath after all.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
Controversial Opinion:

Def Leppard
's High n' Dry IS dirty heavy metal, one of the best metal albums ever written, and is one of the very best albums to come out of the NWOBHM.

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of it being heavy metal, but it's a pretty lame album overall and "dirty" isn't a term that I'd use to describe it.

Ive never liked the term ` heavy metal`. I like the music, but I always felt that the term was derogatory. Its like it was made up by a journalist whom hated the genre. If it had been given a better noun then it would have benefitted from it greatly. To me it belittles the sublime musicianship that there is in the music, and makes it seem a joke.

Ive never liked the term ` heavy metal`. I like the music, but I always felt that the term was derogatory. Its like it was made up by a journalist whom hated the genre. If it had been given a better noun then it would have benefitted from it greatly. To me it belittles the sublime musicianship that there is in the music, and makes it seem a joke.

If you understand the origins of the term prior to critics applying it to music, it doesn't seem derogatory at all.

It's some hippie lingo for specific attitudes. I assume that you've heard someone call a profound experience or statement "heavy" before.

Besides, metal bands have long since co-opted the potentially derogatory genre designation and made it their own through powerful music. Early heavy metal was generally viewed negatively by the music press, but that really doesn't matter.

It's some hippie lingo for specific attitudes. I assume that you've heard someone call a profound experience or statement "heavy" before.

Besides, metal bands have long since co-opted the potentially derogatory genre designation and made it their own through powerful music. Early heavy metal was generally viewed negatively by the music press, but that really doesn't matter.

The heavy bit I dont mind, its the `metal` part. Whats the background on that? And yes, journalists were notoriously hateful to the genre.

The heavy bit I dont mind, its the `metal` part. Whats the background on that? And yes, journalists were notoriously hateful to the genre.

From what I've read they were hateful to Led Zeppelin in the begging as well as many now legendary prog rock groups such as Rush. Everything I know points to the idea that they were nothing more than snobs who thought their opinion actually meant shit. Robert Christmas I can't stand.

Also I think of metal as being like harder than rock in the literal sense.

From what I've read they were hateful to Led Zeppelin in the begging as well as many now legendary prog rock groups such as Rush. Everything I know points to the idea that they were nothing more than snobs who thought their opinion actually meant shit. Robert Christmas I can't stand.

Also I think of metal as being like harder than rock in the literal sense.

All true. The journalists whom were into other types of music used to review Rock bands albums and slag them off and try to put off the public from buying their new albums, it was an attempt to eradicate rock music. The old musicians often anecdote about themselves still being around whereas the journalists have long gone and lost their jobs. Its like when Dave Lee Roth said the reason that the journalists all like Elvis Costello and hate Van Halen is because they all look like him. Led Zeppelin put `in through the outdoor` out in a brown paper bag as tongue in cheek at the journalists reviewing the album very poorly. it was like, OK we will put this one out in a brown paper bag so that no one sees a person has bought it.

Reactions: MrTagoMago
All true. The journalists whom were into other types of music used to review Rock bands albums and slag them off and try to put off the public from buying their new albums, it was an attempt to eradicate rock music. The old musicians often anecdote about themselves still being around whereas the journalists have long gone and lost their jobs. Its like when Dave Lee Roth said the reason that the journalists all like Elvis Costello and hate Van Halen is because they all look like him. Led Zeppelin put `in through the outdoor` out in a brown paper bag as tongue in cheek at the journalists reviewing the album very poorly. it was like, OK we will put this one out in a brown paper bag so that no one sees a person has bought it.

Did not know that about the Zeppelin album. I knew about it being in a brown paper bag but didn't know that was the reason.