Controversial opinions on metal

I just looked them up and I mostly learned that the vocalist is most likely a guy from a death metal band called Repugnant who is credited as the songwriter on their music, and also the vocalist of an indie rock band called Subvision who sounds almost identical to the singer of Ghost. Weird.

It seems obvious that everyone knows who he is so I wonder why they're continuing the charade and encouraging speculation. I guess they're probably looking to get publicity for being mysterious.

First Ghost album was legitimately cool. Second one had two or three good songs on it. Third one I haven't listened to and don't particularly want to, the trajectory is clear.

Reactions: CiG
Controversial opinion. This would make an awesome cover for a metal album.

tumblr_le4n1eiANX1qdc388o1_500.png

what do you guys think of liturgy
View attachment 6701

they're ok, more interesting than wolves in the throne room and about as interesting as krallice, but i have an innate bias against these pretentious modern BM bands who mischaracterise old-school BM as one-dimensional misanthropy and then subvert that mischaracterisation with the exact same philosophies many old-school bands had in the first place. they're annoying fuckers and a lot of their fans are annoying fuckers and a lot of the hipster publications who shower praise on them were formed by annoying fuckers for annoying fuckers.

They don't even sound like the same band. The production went from raw and manly to slick and synthesized, the themes went from battle and glory to fucking robots, the riffs went from galloping and boisterous to near-hair metal melodic shite, just a total sell out. It's kind of like the move from The Dungeons Are Calling to Power of the Night, the difference is that Jon and Criss could pull off pop metal with no problem. iirc there are maybe two good songs that sound like Battle Cry leftovers, that's about it.

Probably controversial

The worst Scorpions album from In Trance to Love at First Sting is actually Taken By Force.

It starts out with the abysmal Steamrock Fever and pretty much never recovers from the weinerish 70s rock vibe the entire album gushes. And I'm fully aware it's 70s rock/metal but the rest of their albums from the timeframe have a much heavier/badass vibe to the music.

I'm a big fan of Scorpions, but I don't get the love for that album at all.