Controversial opinions on metal

Can someone tell me why British Steel seems to be regarded as the most iconic or important Judas Priest album? I know it has Breaking the law and Living after midnight but fans seem to prefer Sad Wings and Stained class plus Screaming for Vengence sold more copies i think and had their most well known hit.

British Steel was their big commercial breakthrough. The previous albums weren't as popular as it. That's why it's the most famous album up to 1980.

British Steel was their big commercial breakthrough. The previous albums weren't as popular as it. That's why it's the most famous album up to 1980.

It seems to be their most famous album period even though Screaming for Vengence sold more and had the biggest commercial hit.

Sin After Sin is their best album. Hell Bent for Leather is the weakest of those first three commercial albums.

Reactions: CiG
For me, the first four albums rank this way:

Sad Wings of Destiny > Stained Class > Sin After Sin > Rocka Rolla

Rocka Rolla
is cool and has a lot of good ideas on it but it lacks the identity that Judas Priest forged for themselves on later albums.

Hell Bent for Leather (or Killing Machine outside of the US) is a good album but it unfortunately cost the band Les Binks because he didn't like the change of musical direction. Dave Holland wasn't nearly as good. British Steel has some extremely cool songs on it and is a better version of the style they moved towards on that album.

For me, the first four albums rank this way:

Sad Wings of Destiny > Stained Class > Sin After Sin > Rocka Rolla

Rocka Rolla
is cool and has a lot of good ideas on it but it lacks the identity that Judas Priest forged for themselves on later albums.

Hell Bent for Leather (or Killing Machine outside of the US) is a good album but it unfortunately cost the band Les Binks because he didn't like the change of musical direction. Dave Holland wasn't nearly as good. British Steel has some extremely cool songs on it and is a better version of the style they moved towards on that album.

I heard they had freedom issues when making Rocka Rolla like Cavier was supposed to be a 12 minute epic that got cut down to a 2 minute instrumental.

If the "Winter Suite" wasn't boring (except Cheater, that's technically considered part of it right) and was up to par with the rest of the album, it would be only a hair behind Sad Wings. Run of the Mill and Never Satisfied are easily up there with the best from SWOD.