Controversial opinions on metal

I cigured i had pretty controversial opinions considering how everyone chewed my ass out for my opinions related to Slayer.

"March On" is legitimately a metal anthem, the title track rules, "Ruby Eyes" is epic and glorious, "Don't Fear The Night" is savage, "Premonition" may have futuristic lyrics but the song still rules, "Hell's Gate" is filled with awesome emotional power and "Make Me Your King" is one of my favourite Omen songs ever.

If you think Warning Of Danger is garbage, even compared to Battle Cry, you have broken fucking ears.

Probably controversial

The worst Scorpions album from In Trance to Love at First Sting is actually Taken By Force.

It starts out with the abysmal Steamrock Fever and pretty much never recovers from the weinerish 70s rock vibe the entire album gushes. And I'm fully aware it's 70s rock/metal but the rest of their albums from the timeframe have a much heavier/badass vibe to the music.

I'm a big fan of Scorpions, but I don't get the love for that album at all.

Man, We'll Burn the Sky, Sails of Charon, Your Light and He's a Woman... are all absolute classics in my book. Steamrock Fever is the only song I don't really care for, and it's still not nearly as bad as something like Is There Anybody There from Lovedrive.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah, Sails of Charon and He's a Woman are easily two of their very heaviest songs from that entire period. I like/love everything on the album though.

Warning of Danger is indeed awsome. It is abit more inconsistant though.
@HamburgerBoy do you really not enjoy songs like Warning of Danger and Hell's Gate?

iirc Hell's Gate was one of the good ones. I haven't heard the album in several years though, don't remember exactly which ones are shit or not.

My listen of The Curse was more recent and I thought that one was shitty too, so I doubt much will change. But you consider The Curse to be significantly worse than Warning of Danger? Most people seem to enjoy all three roughly equally.

The Curse is imo indeed significantly worse than Warning of Danger, but I've listen to it much less so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

New controversial opinion in light of relistening to some Slayer at the moment: it's a toss-up between the title track and Hardening of the Arteries for least good song on Hell Awaits, and if I had to commit I'd probably choose the title track just because the first half of Hardening is better, and it's unfair to neglect it just because its outro is the same as the title track's intro. Still both 7/10 songs though.

Fuck, a toughie! I think "Hell Awaits" is the better song, but I am really picking children here. I guess my argument might be based upon the lyrical content.

Hell Awaits is such a sinister album, especially for its time.

Controversial opinion:

Slayer - Hell Awaits is more evil than 95% of the extreme metal albums out there, and this is not due to just how disturbing the lyrics are (which are quite lovingly disturbing).

I'm increasingly impressed with how death metal-y the riffing on that album is, and that's early 1985 too, well before Seven Churches and Bestial Devastation and whatnot (I used to think Hell Awaits was released at the same time). The atmosphere is awesome, the riff count very high, and the arrangements the most ambitious they'd ever try. These days I try listening to a lot of Floridian and Swedish death metal and it just sounds slow and juvenile compared to Slayer.

My listen of The Curse was more recent and I thought that one was shitty too, so I doubt much will change. But you consider The Curse to be significantly worse than Warning of Danger? Most people seem to enjoy all three roughly equally.

I definitely do find The Curse to be significantly inferior, if I didn't love the band so much I probably would have even sold the CD by now.

New controversial opinion in light of relistening to some Slayer at the moment: it's a toss-up between the title track and Hardening of the Arteries for least good song on Hell Awaits, and if I had to commit I'd probably choose the title track just because the first half of Hardening is better, and it's unfair to neglect it just because its outro is the same as the title track's intro. Still both 7/10 songs though.

I agree with this actually. My 2 least favourite songs as well. I'd still be rating them much higher than 7/10, though.

i love every song on HELL AWAITS, not sure i have a clear least favourite. i always used to say it was the title track 'cause it's comparatively a bit derivative and cartoonish, but i feel like saying 'praise of death' today.

i've been listening to TAKEN BY FORCE a lot this past few weeks and it might be my favourite scorpions now, it's even better than i used to think. love it pretty much front to back. what kind of fun hating asshole doesn't like steamrock fever?!

and yeah WoD is better than THE CURSE. relisten u blummin wanka

"Hell Awaits" and "Hardening of the Arteries" are both good candidates for the worst song on the album but I also think that "Praise of Death" may be the least interesting song.

What's the worst song on Show No Mercy?

The "Dissident Aggressor" cover is so lifeless. It probably would have been better if they covered it during Show No Mercy and Tom put more effort into the vocals like on "Antichrist" or "Aggressive Perfector."

"Hell Awaits" and "Hardening of the Arteries" are both good candidates for the worst song on the album but I also think that "Praise of Death" may be the least interesting song.

What's the worst song on Show No Mercy?

we voted here. the title track followed by 'tormentor' and 'final command'.

edit: that thread sure makes me miss technical barbarity </sarcasm>

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné