Controversial opinions on metal

OK, just finished listening to Warning of Danger. It's actually pretty good. Guess I got that one wrong too. Oddly enough, Termination was the song I enjoyed second-most this time, although I think the Butthole Surfers spoof might be responsible for that. The overall songwriting is more involved than the first album, but I still think the intensity level is a lot lower. Especially with songs like Ruby Eyes and Don't Fear the Night that would have been fine on the first album but just sound bland here. Instrumental is obvious filler too. Just a bit of a weak early-middle on the album I guess. Title track was the stand-out for me, that can also hurt an album when it's all downhill from there. Still, I'm up-rating it from a 1.5 to a 2.5, and will give another listen in maybe 6 months and if I'm not already burned out again I'll probably bump it to a 3.

If the "Winter Suite" wasn't boring (except Cheater, that's technically considered part of it right) and was up to par with the rest of the album, it would be only a hair behind Sad Wings. Run of the Mill and Never Satisfied are easily up there with the best from SWOD.

Yeah, it had a lot of potential but it fails to realize most of the ideas. The "Winter Retreat" segment does have some of the most uncharacteristic Halford vocals ever and it weirded me out when I first heard it.

I had it on tape as a kid. The whole second side (starting with "Run of the Mill") used to trip me the fuck out. The whole album is fucking killer.

Title track was the stand-out for me, that can also hurt an album when it's all downhill from there.
While I don't really agree with your rating I can get behind this, the title track is the best on the album, and while Warning of Danger holds my interest throughout most of the album (the instrumentals are a waste) it is way too common to put on an album which starts out great and promising and then halfway though you find yourself switching to something else because they suddenly just sounds bland and uninteresting. Bands should learn to spread out their hits more (or write more hits). :p

Did i mention that prog rock is better than prog metal?

On the whole yeah if you include all related sub-genres that aren't prog metal. imo some of the classic prog rock bands, especially Camel and Genesis, are pretty fuckin bland though.

On the whole yeah if you include all related sub-genres that aren't prog metal. imo some of the classic prog rock bands, especially Camel and Genesis, are pretty fuckin bland though.

I havent really listened to Genesis much though to be fair i dont think ive really givdn them a fair chance. Ive never listened to Camel even though ive known of them for a while. Actually most of what i call my favorite prog rock artists probably wouldnt count as prog to most. That said I do love Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle giant, Yes, Soft Machine, and Rush.

There are plenty I enjoy, but there's a large wing of crap too. Hex Enduction Hour is one of the worst non-metal albums I've ever heard.