Controversial opinions on metal

View attachment 6759
post your favorite jazz release

51aLjCiTWcL.jpg

My favourite jazz record is probably Mingus Dynasty.
I don't listen to much jazz anymore though, unless it happens to be a film soundtrack.

Not really that true. I mean, it's not 5-riffs-a-minute like some metal can be, but a lot of the classic bands had a higher density of ideas than stuff like in that Pylon song above or a lot of The Fall's stuff or whatever else.

There's no doubt in my mind that the bulk of post-punk focuses on creating an atmosphere via repetition. Joy Division are the classic example.

By the way that Volume song was very substandard. Post-punk is by no means a perfect style.

I dislike Joy Division too for the most part, especially Closer. The Atrocity Exhibition would be another great example of what I hate in post-punk.

I still haven't heard the first two Genesis albums. I don't wanna say its because Collins and Hackett aren't on them although perhaps subconsciously that might have something to do with it :lol:

Whenever I hear people call Genesis bland its mostly the post-Gabriel/Hackett era which for what its worth I completely disagree with. Obviously those later albums aren't on the same level as their 70's output but there's interesting stuff on them. Nursery Cryme up to Wind and Wuthering is some of the finest music ever recorded. When it comes to concept albums, The Lamb to me is the apex.

I agree with lots of this.

For me, the Hackett/Gariel combo makes Genesis, which is probably why I haven't given the time of day to much of their material post-Lamb. I enjoy Wind and Wuthering and Trick of the Tail, occasionally; but after Tail, I kind of lose interest. I agree though that Lamb is the epitome of concept albums. I think it even tops Floyd's stuff. It's a whirlwind narrative and the compositions are amazing. And I'm a huge fan of Gabriel in general; I think he's a genius, melodically and lyrically.

But my personal favorite from their catalog is Selling England By the Pound. That album gave me chills when I first listened to it, and it takes its listeners on an incredible journey.

Reactions: CiG
most of CLOSER is the pinnacle of the band in terms of being the purest expression of their identity. has a really unique, hard to describe tone, but i find it more convincingly apocalyptic than almost any other music - rather than being heavyhandedly dark and dystopian it just sounds resigned and brutally bleak and ready for the release of death. i'm not fond of their poppier stuff though (i.e. their most well known song, and also stuff like 'isolation' on that album)

REMAIN IN LIGHT summarises how i feel about talking heads in that the a-side is intricately constructed, tonally controlled excellence and the b-side is lame experimentation that barely works at all. great band at their best though for sure.

Reactions: CiG
most of CLOSER is the pinnacle of the band in terms of being the purest expression of their identity. has a really unique, hard to describe tone, but i find it more convincingly apocalyptic than almost any other music - rather than being heavyhandedly dark and dystopian it just sounds resigned and brutally bleak and ready for the release of death. i'm not fond of their poppier stuff though (i.e. their most well known song, and also stuff like 'isolation' on that album)

REMAIN IN LIGHT summarises how i feel about talking heads in that the a-side is intricately constructed, tonally controlled excellence and the b-side is lame experimentation that barely works at all. great band at their best though for sure.

Good summary on Joy Division but i cant agree that theres anything wrong with the second side of RIL.

I agree though that Lamb is the epitome of concept albums. I think it even tops Floyd's stuff. It's a whirlwind narrative and the compositions are amazing. And I'm a huge fan of Gabriel in general; I think he's a genius, melodically and lyrically.

But my personal favorite from their catalog is Selling England By the Pound. That album gave me chills when I first listened to it, and it takes its listeners on an incredible journey.
The storyline is one of the biggest selling points for sure. You know Tony Banks has said its actually one of his least favorite aspects of it? Mind-boggling. Its really a work of surreal genus. Too bad we never got the movie Gabriel envisioned making with Jodorowsky. Ever read this, El Topo and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Jodorowsky and Gabriel)?

Selling England is another perfect album but honestly I'd have to put it third behind The Lamb and Foxtrot. The later was the first I'd heard from the classic line-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG and Einherjar86