Controversial opinions on metal

l have heard l think, 2 or 3 'new' Slayer songs in the last 16 years. Slayer were a massive band for me. But what l heard was tired repetitive ennui. l have shunned Slayer for fear of disappointment and will more than likely continue to do so. l love Slayer up to Seasons, which l consider a good record.
But if someone thinks lm an ass and really should listen to...... ? What first?

I havent listened to them but the two after seasons (Divine intervention and Undisputed Attitude) have decent scores on the metal archives so maybe try them? I would advise staying away from God hates us all though thats some Slipknot tier garbage.

So I got bored and tried listening to The Black album out of curiosity. I thought my issue with the album would be that its 90s style hard rock and i dont like that so I would be too biased. Nope the issue isnt the genre. Its just really fucking boring. Like I think they couldve probably made this work where it couldve appealed to a more mainstream audience but still retained their classic dignity and not pissing off the old fans as much but nope its just dull.

Slipknot's Iowa is a God tier metal album and I recommend that you revisit it, since you've obviously missed its genius.

Just listen to this:

Slipknot's mastery of phrasing, technique and dynamics paint dark nihilistic pictures far beyond what most metal can ever hope to achieve. This song shows a band at the peak of their artistic vision and full comprehension of challenging songwriting.

Reactions: CiG
l remember a mate insisting l sit down and listen to this with him and just being...well kinda the same now...there toooo much rappy-nu-metally-emo crap with this stuff to ever grant serious analysis. Slipknot suck man

Slipknot's Iowa is a God tier metal album and I recommend that you revisit it, since you've obviously missed its genius.

Just listen to this:

Slipknot's mastery of phrasing, technique and dynamics paint dark nihilistic pictures far beyond what most metal can ever hope to achieve. This song shows a band at the peak of their artistic vision and full comprehension of challenging songwriting.

I think i heard fart noises.

Just listen to this:

It's funny, because the word "Iowa" could be synonymous with their whole career... boring, lifeless, uninspiring, banal, and and they all belong as the scarecrows of Amish corn farms with those costumes.

Last edited:
It's funny, because the word "Iowa" could be synonymous with their whole career... boring, lifeless, uninspiring, banal, and and they all belong as the scarecrows of Amish corn farms with those costumes.

I always thought of them as trying to be edgy and dangerous while still staying hip and cool in the mainstream so to appeal to a certain group of angsty teens.

@Phylactery just won for the most controversial opinion here. I actually liked Iowa when it came out, but that was back in middle school before I was introduced to death and black metal. It had a chaos to it that the likes of Pantera could only wish to have (another band I liked back then). Honestly I didnt mind giving it another chance after all these years, but I just cant get behind to calling it good. I dont see what you see in their songwriting, it comes across as vapid angst to me. I moved on from this shit long ago, and revisiting it just reminded me why I finally realized that it sucked.

@Phylactery just won for the most controversial opinion here. I actually liked Iowa when it came out, but that was back in middle school before I was introduced to death and black metal. It had a chaos to it that the likes of Pantera could only wish to have (another band I liked back then). Honestly I didnt mind giving it another chance after all these years, but I just cant get behind to calling it good. I dont see what you see in their songwriting, it comes across as vapid angst to me. I moved on from this shit long ago, and revisiting it just reminded me why I finally realized that it sucked.

Wait he wasnt shitposting? I was sure he was joking.

This is disturbing.

The whole comment section is full of Do Kids react to Slipknot!

That's the least of my gripes. For one, they showed them Hardwired, and not Ride The Lightning or anything representative of Metallica's best. Then, that one dork confused them for The Rolling Stones and being hard rock.