Controversial opinions on metal

Prelude/Tyrant and The Ripper just aren't that great. I'd take most of the weaker songs from the first five Maiden albums (except maybe the S/T) over those.

Controversial opinion that shouldn't be: people that complain about Maiden's filler on their classic albums are silly. Maiden's weaker songs on their good albums are better than many other bands' weaker songs on good albums.

I'm no big fan of Judas Priest's 80's stuff, probably because it so badly pales in comparison to their Godly 70's output.
I personally think Priest's godly 70's streak continued until Turbo in '86 and Ram It Down in '88, both of which are good albums, but not on par with their predecessors by any means. Then, they picked up the qualitative gaunlet and produced the classic that is Painkiller, and it's semi-classic sequel in the form of Jugulator. Then the abortion that is Demolition dropped, and they haven't returned to those heights since, despite decent and even good releass like Angel of Retribution and Redeemer of Souls.

When you're looking from that perspective, yeah, it's accurate to say Maiden have more consistent albums. I'm curious if anyone takes Priest's debut over Maiden's.
Though I prefer Priest, I wouldn't take Rocka Rolla over Maiden's eponymous debut if you paid me.

Reactions: CiG
HB pretty much nailed it. My very first concert was Maiden opening for Priest way back in 1982. Wish I could remember more details from it. Sucks getting old. I'm a Maiden fan boy thru and thru, but Priest certainly has the more consistent discography and in my mind, is clearly more metal than Maiden.

I personally think Priest's godly 70's streak continued until Turbo in '86 and Ram It Down in '88, both of which are good albums, but not on par with their predecessors by any means. Then, they picked up the qualitative gaunlet and produced the classic that is Painkiller, and it's semi-classic sequel in the form of Jugulator. Then the abortion that is Demolition dropped, and they haven't returned to those heights since, despite decent and even good releass like Angel of Retribution and Redeemer of Souls.

I just can't agree with any of this. Quite a few of their albums after 1978 are fairly average whether compared to their own discography or others. Defenders Of The Faith comes to mind as a bit of a letdown, but I don't know maybe I'm just very picky/retarded.

I certainly do not think their 1976-1978 Godliness is present in anything in the 80's or 90's, that's not to say they suck though.

Reactions: Phylactery
I just can't agree with any of this. Quite a few of their albums after 1978 are fairly average whether compared to their own discography or others. Defenders Of The Faith comes to mind as a bit of a letdown, but I don't know maybe I'm just very picky/retarded.

I certainly do not think their 1976-1978 Godliness is present in anything in the 80's or 90's, that's not to say they suck though.
Point of Entry, Screaming For Vengeance, and Defenders of The Faith are all top shelf Priest in my book, though Point of Entry only makes it just barely. Painkiller was their last truly godly album for me.

80s Priest hasn't got shit on the S trilogy, what is this madness?

Painkiller is a fun, silly record but nowhere near the quality of their best stuff.

Iron Maiden's best material also doesn't reach the heights of the best Priest records.

Reactions: CiG
80s Priest hasn't got shit on the S trilogy, what is this madness?

Painkiller is a fun, silly record but nowhere near the quality of their best stuff.

Iron Maiden's best material also doesn't reach the heights of the best Priest records.

I'll have to agree with all of this. Iron Maiden's first five are awesome but they can't much the best of Judas Priest. I do think that they are often compared more than they need to be.

Reactions: CiG and Phylactery
I feel i cant say much here since I love Judas Priest but i dont care for Iron Maiden very much at all as much as ive tried to.

Regarding JP vs. IM, I think they're more or less on par. SWOD is arguably the best metal album ever and head and shoulders of any other release by either band, but in the next tier of albums Maiden and Priest are basically even.

Also, Priest has way more straight up bad albums albums and songs than Maiden. There are very few Maiden tracks I skip and other than the Bayley albums, all of their albums are AT LEAST decent. On the other hand, Priest has numerous clunkers: PoE, Turbo, RiD, Jugulator, Demolition. Even Nostrodomus is pretty mediocre save a few cuts.

Painkiller is an amazing album full of great songwriting and glorious emotional metallic anthems and people need to stop dismissing it as samey, self-parody, or other descriptors that attempt to objectify its superiority over a Sad Wings on the basis of a lack of ballads or whatever distorted metric of quality people use in trying to compare the two.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Turbo is too. There's really no comparison imo, Judas Priest's best albums overshadow Maiden's best. Their "good" albums are more plentiful than Maiden's. Both bands are less than good after 1990 and both bands last full lengths were pretty decent.

Also, Fear of the Dark is clearly faaaaaaaaaaaaaar less consistent than any Judas Priest album prior to Jugulator.