Controversial opinions on metal

Parental Guidance was a middle finger to the PMRC, had nothing to do with edgy teens. Try again.

"Every day you scream at me to turn the music low
Well if you keep on screaming, you'll make me deaf you know
You always chew me out, because I stay out late
Until your three-piece suit comes back in date, get one thing straight"

Of course that was a dimension, but if you can't admit that the above lines we're aimed at getting rebellious teens to buy their record than you are in utter denial.

"Every day you scream at me to turn the music low
Well if you keep on screaming, you'll make me deaf you know
You always chew me out, because I stay out late
Until your three-piece suit comes back in date, get one thing straight"

Of course that was a dimension, but if you can't admit that the above lines we're aimed at getting rebellious teens to buy their record than you are in utter denial.
Sure. But that's a dual edged sword seeing as that's clearly a jab at the PMRC types and Congressmen trying to regulate musical expression at the time as well.

You're the one tongue massaging your own prostate pal, so telling me to remove my head from ass is the last thing you need to be concerned with. You critiquing of Point of Entry as nothing but supbar AOR is hilarious, given you're the same troglodyte that champions shit like Deathspell Omega over Venom.

:lol: I'm a "troglodyte" for preferring the intellectual masterpiece that is later DSO to Venom? Try again. Or better yet, shut up.

:lol: I'm a "troglodyte" for preferring the intellectual masterpiece that is later DSO to Venom? Try again. Or better yet, shut up.
Yes, you are. Deathspell Omega an intellectual masterpiece... if your taste were any poorer it'd be on food stamps in Detroit waiting for Obama to pay its bills.

I'll take Inquisitors of Satan and SMRC (bloated as it definitely is) over something like Ram It Down which is just bad from what I remember.

The first 3 Venom are obviously more classic and influential than DSO, though.

Intellectual masterpiece? Hmm, care to post a link that would be their strongest example of that?

Get a copy of SMRC, Fas, or Paracletus and read the lyrics, look at the art, and listen to the music. The three works make up a trilogy. It is a very intelligent and thoroughly developed conflation of Christian doctrine and theology with spiritual Satanism (which I ultimately read as a doctrine that implies that the essence of Christian theology is nihilism), which creates a metaphysical dystopia. There's no Cliff Notes link I can send you to, but you're likely to find it worth it if you give the albums the time they deserve.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I guess that's my problem, while I fully appreciate that great pieces of music aren't obviously great on the surface and actually do require effort to unlock, it's rather asking a bit much to buy 3 albums with the hopes that I'll "get it."

I'll noodle around on youtube and MA a bit later and see what I think.

I guess that's my problem, while I fully appreciate that great pieces of music aren't obviously great on the surface and actually do require effort to unlock, it's rather asking a bit much to buy 3 albums with the hopes that I'll "get it."

just listen to at least some of this - it's the first in the trilogy anyway and the most accessible. doubt it'd be your thing but ynever know.

You don't need to buy all three, but yes, at the very least you should listen to one album start to finish 5 times and read the lyrics at least once before you can claim to have an informed opinion on it.

Sunset Superman is total garbage 2/10

Naked in the rain and when a woman cries are also annoying

Night people is below average for dio

I used to feel that way about Sunset Superman due to the chorus but I've mellowed out on its silliness. Naked in the Rain is fucking amazing, one of his very best in his solo career. When a Woman Cries, no problems with it. Dio's opening tracks have never been his strong suit imo, but Night People is probably my third favorite behind Killing the Dragon and Stand Up and Shout, slightly slower than some of the others but it's the only one in that vein that also mixes his usual fantasy atmosphere, great song still.

I'm listening to Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice on youtube right now.

Immediately questioning the task I've taken on since I'm hardly what you'd call a black metal fanatic. Really impressed with the drumming so far though, I must say. Totally nailing it. Also the oddly melodic riffing is quite good and unexpected.

It's a good album and extremely ambitious. At an hour and 20 minutes I just find it to be too much.

In do remember really liking Sola Fide I, Carnal Malefactor, Drink the Devil's Blood and some of the prayers. I definitely need to revisit it though. I also need to check out Paracletus. I didn't like much about Fas so I was never inspired to listen to it.

I think you'd actually like the previous album, Inquisitors of Satan as it's quite similar to early Darkthrone.

Okay so I can see why a black metal fan would consider this a pinnacle of the genre. It is pretty friggin good, I'm overwhelmingly blown away by the production. It's, as far as I can hear, perfect.

But yes it is a bit long for what I can handle when it comes to black metal. Not quite getting the implied genius of the lyrics though, it reads as typical Satanic lyrics albeit more richly expressed. Maybe it's just not my thing.

But musically I could see myself listening again in the future if I was in the mood. Some of the stylings remind me of Inquisition for some reason.