Controversial opinions on metal

Or even better, Hirilorn:

I definitely agree Hirilorn is better than DsO.

I find that SMRC has plenty of great moments scattered throughout but it's just too bloated and overly long. If they trimmed the excess then I might consider it a modern classic. As is, I think it's a good but flawed album.

Imo, Fas is DsO's magnum opus. Paracletus is probably a really close second, but SMRC is simply too long for my taste and doesnt quite reach the musical heights of the other 2 releases in the trilogy. Inquisitors of Satan is just well done orthodox BM, so I dont consider it in the same category as the more fully realized DsO albums.

It was a weird comparison, I agree. As pretentious as Crimsonflloyd comes across, I don't think you can argue that SMRC is more ambitious and has more depth than Venom. Obviously it's up to the listener to decide if they achieved that ambition or not.

Could you explain what you like about Fas...I listened to it a few times when it first came out and couldn't get into at all. It put me off checking out Paracletus.

Never really bothered to listen to them. I bet there's plenty of twee and contemporary indie "folk" that's worse.

Trivium is uninteresting but competent, basically a second-rate Testament with some lame 00s-metal moments thrown in. Some of their stuff works fine for background thrash, occasionally they get too melodic and wussy, but overall not a bad band. Virgin Steele is even more generic, with much worse songwriting and competency. I'd love you to give Virgin Steele a decent defense.

Manilla Road is great metal.

Nokturnal Mortum has released some great albums and one or two even greater albums.

Emperor is alright; poorly executed most of the time but when they hit the mark its aight. More than I can say for Trivium. Utterly ininteresting music.