Controversial opinions on metal

I can't pick a particular time period to be superior over others because a lot of the bands that I like are very out of place for when their albums were released.

Cirith Ungol, for example, began releasing albums in the 1980s, but their music doesn't really sound like your usual 1980s metal because the band was around for so long before they released their first album and many of their songs are from the 1970s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manic Ferocity
I can't pick a particular time period to be superior over others because a lot of the bands that I like are very out of place for when their albums were released.

Cirith Ungol, for example, began releasing albums in the 1980s, but their music doesn't really sound like your usual 1980s metal because the band was around for so long before they released their first album and many of their songs are from the 1970s.

I never realized they were that old but that makes perfect sense. I've always thought they had a more 70s heavy metal sound.

Oh yeah, they were formed in 1972. They have a lot of songs that date back to the 1970s, including some that haven't been officially released.

Falcon, a band which features Greg Lindstrom from Cirith Ungol, has recorded some Cirith Ungol songs that weren't ever properly recorded by the band. He left the band in 1982 but he helped write a lot of their best material.

Greg Lindstrom said:
'Atom Smasher,' 'Cirith Ungol' and 'Death of the Sun' were all songs we had written together in the mid 70's, and 'Finger of Scorn' was one of my songs that the band used with my blessing.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity