Controversial opinions on metal

It's a good job a lot of metal aspires to be more than just a collection of riffs or else I'd find it to be a pretty worthless genre.

I don't even know what HamburgerBoy means by "good riffs" anymore since he said that Dimmu Borgir song in the current mixtape game had sufficient quality of riffs. I found them boring.

It's a good job a lot of metal aspires to be more than just a collection of riffs or else I'd find it to be a pretty worthless genre.

I don't even know what HamburgerBoy means by "good riffs" anymore since he said that Dimmu Borgir song in the current mixtape game had sufficient quality of riffs. I found them boring.

There was an earlier post he made where he went into detail about what he means by riffs which i recall was more than youd think but i still would never agree t hats all that matters.

Whats your opinion on atmosphere?

It's important, but rehashing Swans with even more edginess is not atmospheric, no matter how heavy it might be. I loved Godflesh at first when I didn't know any better, but they're a great example of why most alternative metal fails. Metal bands should focus on their strengths, not tricking ignorant metalheads that think all creative works have come from metal since Black Sabbath.

Post examples of good riffs on Streetcleaner, preferably ones that Swans didn't already do better on their first four albums.

It's important, but rehashing Swans with even more edginess is not atmospheric, no matter how heavy it might be. I loved Godflesh at first when I didn't know any better, but they're a great example of why most alternative metal fails. Metal bands should focus on their strengths, not tricking ignorant metalheads that think all creative works have come from metal since Black Sabbath.

Rehashing Swans with more edginess? What are you talking about? You say metal should focus oj its strengths but you dont say what that is and you didnt say how Godfles his tricking metal heads.

Rehashing Swans with more edginess? What are you talking about? You say metal should focus oj its strengths but you dont say what that is and you didnt say how Godfles his tricking metal heads.

A few of metal's strengths are its diversity of riffs, its bombast, and its fantastical themes. Those are things you won't find to the same extent in most other genres of music, with obviously some exceptions (mostly prog and hard rock of the 70s). Stuff like Godflesh, mid-90s Century Media goth metal, etc appeal to metal fans because many metal fans are retards that won't pick up anything off of the shelf if it isn't the metal shelf. They have to be spoonfed things to try them, but craft a narrative about how playing non-metal band X's riffs with more distortion and the occasional chug, and they wolf that shit right down. Godflesh isn't even that bad or anything, Streetcleaner is decent, but man it's laughable when metalheads go "Wait, you listed a lot of industrial but you didn't even mention Godflesh or Ministry, LITERALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT INDUSTRIAL METAL BANDS, I mean really, I can't even". And I don't even like much industrial; Foetus is awesome because there are strong Alice Cooper vaudeville vibes there, and I really like some of Controlled Bleeding's non-industrial quasi-ambient/quasi-choral weird stuff, but the genre doesn't really appeal to me. Metal people regardless need to start trying the bands that influenced their pet favorite alternative metal bands.

Trivium obviously have very original riffs.

Godflesh is probably a bit more original than Trivium, although their riffs are still poorer.

A few of metal's strengths are its diversity of riffs, its bombast, and its fantastical themes. Those are things you won't find to the same extent in most other genres of music, with obviously some exceptions (mostly prog and hard rock of the 70s). Stuff like Godflesh, mid-90s Century Media goth metal, etc appeal to metal fans because many metal fans are retards that won't pick up anything off of the shelf if it isn't the metal shelf. They have to be spoonfed things to try them, but craft a narrative about how playing non-metal band X's riffs with more distortion and the occasional chug, and they wolf that shit right down. Godflesh isn't even that bad or anything, Streetcleaner is decent, but man it's laughable when metalheads go "Wait, you listed a lot of industrial but you didn't even mention Godflesh or Ministry, LITERALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT INDUSTRIAL METAL BANDS, I mean really, I can't even". And I don't even like much industrial; Foetus is awesome because there are strong Alice Cooper vaudeville vibes there, and I really like some of Controlled Bleeding's non-industrial quasi-ambient/quasi-choral weird stuff, but the genre doesn't really appeal to me. Metal people regardless need to start trying the bands that influenced their pet favorite alternative metal bands.

Godflesh is probably a bit more original than Trivium, although their riffs are still poorer.

I agree with a lot of what you said but i dont see the issue with Godflesh giving a metal spin on the Swans formula. Swans is better but i like having more of that kinda thing. Also Streetcleaner though not as good imo isnt as repetitive as Cop. Obviously industrial is better than industrial metal. Still just because its considered metal doesnt mean it has to focus on riffs and Godflesh focuses much more on creating a heavy and opressive atmosphere.

Cop is my least favorite of the first four tbh, although I still like it. Holy Money is my favorite, probably their most diverse without deviating from their core sound as would happen on Children of God. I don't hate Godflesh, I just lol when people pretend they're more tr00 than Trivium or whatever other out-crowd band, when half of their sound is blatantly not remotely related to metal. And by trying to fit metal riffs into that formula, they dilute the positive qualities of both genres.