Controversial opinions on metal

When yall say "sludge", what bands are we talking about here?

If its crap like crowbar, down, eyehategod
...then i agree. That stuff is just, well, crap.

If we are talking the Neurosis/Isis school of bands, I somewhat agree. Other than Neurosis' stellar discography, 2 albums from Isis and Jesu's early material, I have no interest in it.

Last edited:
When yall say "sludge", what bands are we talking about here?

If its crap like crowbar, down, eyehategod
...then i agree. That stuff is just, well, crap.

If we are talking the Neurosis/Isis school of bands, I somewhat agree. Other than Neurosis' stellar discography, 2 albums from Isis and Jesu's early material, I have no interest in it.

That's basically my position as well.

But calling Neurosis "boring" is simply incorrect.

Lol how can you say that something as subjective as finding a band to be boring is fact? I find their music dull and coma-inducing, the same with every other band mentioned on this page. The only fact in this equation is the fact that I react to their music that way, while you react another.

Dismissing sludge metal on the back of a dislike for bands like Neurosis is retarded as they don't even really represent the sound of sludge metal. Closest they come to is what HBB just said, atmosludge.

To me, sludge metal is stuff like Grief, Noosebomb, Iron Monkey, Leechmilk, Molehill, Hawg Jaw, Seven Foot Spleen, 3D House of Beef, Cavity, 16, etc.

I've noticed a lot in here that people think damn near everything is sludge metal except the stuff that is actually sludge.

To be fair I've never heard a single song from any of those bands, but there's nothing about the description of sludge that intrigues me. Plus all the bands on the last page that people called sludge, that's what I'm at least PASSINGLY familiar with, maybe heard a song or two each. That's where my judgment of the genre comes from.

Sludge is to me Eyehategod, Grief, Buzzov•en, Crowbar, Indian. (And Acid Bath even though they're atypical)

You know, the drugged out southern flared hardcore doom abominations. I've always liked it but can't listen to it for long periods of time.

That post sludge nonsense is artsy pretentious shit.

Reactions: CiG
the only 'sludge' i really care about (that i've found, anyway) is harvey milk, not sure they have that much to do with proper sludge. their last album is one of my top 10 ever:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB1NUWSkSEKU2EUzlmYPYsPht7G_9Kz3O

love how it lays bare all this grief, regret and dissolution without ever compromising the resigned, dignified austerity. there's this incredibly tender grace to it even as it feels broken and ugly and utterly final. it's like a raymond carver suicide note written in blood across tarmac.

Can't fucking stand Harvey Milk myself.

To be fair I've never heard a single song from any of those bands, but there's nothing about the description of sludge that intrigues me. Plus all the bands on the last page that people called sludge, that's what I'm at least PASSINGLY familiar with, maybe heard a song or two each. That's where my judgment of the genre comes from.

Knowing your taste in music I can understand why it's not your thing, but let me try to test that premise. :D

I really appreciate the effort dude, but wow, that was abominable. I'd rather listen to my own shins being fed into a wood chipper.

EDIT: at least it wasn't as bad as Harvey Milk, holy shit that was the most pathetic, out of tune bullshit I've ever heard. At least MD had a mediocre riff playing instead of just turning on a fuzz pedal and cranking it until it shat out feedback. Too bad they played the ever loving piss out of that mediocre riff.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
ehh it's an album experience, judging it based on like a minute's sample is like judging a death metal album by its intro. granted, if you like everything to be all in-tune and easy to swallow it's not gonna be your thing.

I listened to a full 6 minute song. And I don't like easily digestible music, raw brutal death is my game. This was one of my top albums of 2015:

I just didn't hear anything remotely interesting or played well. In reply to your comment, another controversial opinion of mine: if I could buy every album I own again, but without intros, interludes, or ambient sections, I would. Shit's garbage. Rare cases of samples and clips excluded.