Controversial opinions on metal

The vocals on that song are so nasal and obnoxious. I don't know how accurate 'shoegaze' actually describes their influences/sound, but it's something I see labeled a lot (check White Pony on RYM for example), like how in between the jumpdafuckup riffs it's all twinkly wall-of-sound guitar stuff. From a production standpoint it sounds nice and all, but the songs are always underwhelming in execution. Helmet did it much better.

EDIT: Ugh the last 30 seconds of that song, dkldfkgjdsfoivfdskovijsdv

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
ohh maybe that why the guy liked this band(i dont hear it though). He's a drummer and was trying to point out the drummers he liked, he mentioned the slipknot drummer too. Imagine the look on his face when i showed him videos of Lombardo, Hoglan, Mournier, Grossmann, Sandoval and such.

ohh maybe that why the guy liked this band(i dont hear it though). He's a drummer and was trying to point out the drummers he liked, he mentioned the slipknot drummer too. Imagine the look on his face when i showed him videos of Lombardo, Hoglan, Mournier, Grossmann, Sandoval and such.

Cunningham is good for that style. I like the drum track on Digital Bath. Obviously not like dudes like Lombardo and such but not everyone can be.

i love how even the faintest sound of numetal makes burgerboy go haywire!

chopping-mall31.gif

yeah that last 30 seconds made me want to punch the whole band out.

Controversial Opinion:

Death metal without good lead guitar work / soloing is almost worthless.

Same, it's why I'm so fucking picky about drumming because I used to drum and that always draw my attention.

At least with trad and power metal, that is a main part of the listening experience and I'll focus more (see: Iron Maiden). Thrash somewhat as well, but I mainly listen to that for the riffing rhythms.

Reactions: CiG
The one thing I tend to like the most about black metal is the very simplistic but impacting drums. Since you mentioned traditional/power metal, one of the highlights of Manowar in my opinion is the drumming!

Outside of Atheist (and they're thrash in my book anyways), there's pretty much no death metal where I think "Can't wait to hear that solo!". I mean, there are of course good ones here and there, but they're rarely the highlight, and generally deemphasized in the genre's form relative to more old school metal. Actually, Order From Chaos has some great leads too, but they're of course right in the middle of a death/black/thrash grey zone.

Where death metal excels is in brief leads throughout a song to provide chaotic atmosphere and reduce repetition. Dedicated solo sections in death metal are usually mediocre Slayer worship and/or Schuldiner/Murphy-cloning wank.

What about the more accessible stuff like Vogg, Christian Muenzer, Bill Steer etc? I can list a shit load of death metal guitarists that can probably play circles around these guys(minus maybe Muenzner) ... but i'm not sure you'd be able to handle those guys.

Here are a few you shouldn't have any trouble with ....

...3:15 mark

But yeah, solo's are usually never the highlight when it comes to death metal. dem riffz doe...

Speaking of drumming, I tend to find blast beat abuse fine in a lot of black metal. It tends to blend into the background and supports the song. Flashy drumming can take away from the atmosphere and can be rather distracting. Exceptions do of course exist.

I'm not a fan of constant blasting in death metal, but I'll always be a sucker for a good tremolo/blast section.

I think blast beats tends to get a lot of undeserved hate. Like all drumming techniques, they are a tool that can be used effectively.

Reactions: AllShallFall
Speaking of drumming, I tend to find blast beat abuse fine in a lot of black metal. It tends to blend into the background and supports the song. Flashy drumming can take away from the atmosphere and can be rather distracting. Exceptions do of course exist.

I'm not a fan of constant blasting in death metal, but I'll always be a sucker for a good tremolo/blast section.

I think blast beats tends to get a lot of undeserved hate. Like all drumming techniques, they are a tool that can be used effectively.

This is why I like Mike Smith when he was in Suffocation. He's the master of the tasteful blastbeat imo.

Although, when listening to BDM I expect constant blasting.