Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah sorry man, but Harvey Milk is boring shit. If people think bands like Harvey Milk, Isis and Neurosis is definitive of sludge metal, then no wonder many people consider sludge metal to be a sleep-inducing experience.

Even if you dislike sludge metal, no way are you being put into a coma by proper sludge metal, it's too rabid and savage. It's all this post-rock/post-metal/drone inspired shit that is giving sludge a bad name in my opinion.

Not that I care that much anymore, by this point I've basically grown out of my sludge metal obsession.

Fistula > all the rest, anyway.

Sludge should be played by dirtbag drug fiends, not trimmed beard, tucked in shirt college faggots.

/rant.

harvey milk are part of a totally different tradition to atmo-sludge though. the closest they get to post-rock is being a lot like a heavier slint at times, but their main influences other than that are the melvins (to the point of worship sometimes) and all that scuzzy DIY alt-rock stuff that began with the jesus lizard, flipper, shellac etc. they also worship zz top, hank williams, REM, they just do their own thing basically. if you handed them an isis CD i reckon they'd drunkenly piss all over it.

re: morgue, i don't think playing well needs to be a priority for a band making ugly despairing music, but then i don't rly care for most tech brutal death either so

"atmosludge" is a fucking retarded genre name.

though im not a fan of traditional sludge (the proper sabbath meets black flag meets melvins type), I agree with CIG that Neurosis/Isis type bands should not be the defining listening experience for people delving into the genre.

"Sludge" is too restricting a term for a band like Neurosis. Associating Neurosis with a shittard band like Down is an insult to Neurosis.

That being said, Our Problem is a great record.

its the debut i refer to, yeah. and its more or less who is involved. fucking pantera, crowbar, and ehg. that whole southern nola thing

Reactions: CiG
I don't think playing..."well" is a necessary prerequisite. Right now I'm on a huge Colombian BDM kick and half the time they band members aren't even in the same time signature. I do like tight sounding shit though. There's just a difference between raw, disgusting stuff and things that just sound lazy and shitty, to me anyway. The former appeals to me, the latter does not. It doesn't sound ugly or emotive to me, just dumb.

I know my opinions are narrow and retarded, no need to tell me. That's why I suddenly joined this thread, 95% of my opinions on metal are controversial in one way or another.

I'd rather listen to NOLA than anything Neurosis put out.

Also advance response to anyone that pulls the "2deep4u" argument (or any variant thereof), you're dumb, wrong, and can snack on a hearty nutritious bowl of deez nuts. Yada yada. :)

Probably not very controversial around here, but as a huge slam death fan, the new trend of slamming deathcore and beatdown is absolute fucking cancer, perpetrated by a bunch of hardcore weenies that like to pretend they have moved into heavier music and telling everyone they listen to BDM, even though it's hypergay shit like Operation Cunt Destroyer or Vulvodynia, and will move onto another fad within half a decade. Fuck, completely off discussion I know, but clogging up my feed on FB and I can't bitch about it enough on there.

Brutal death has been dealing with a sharp downturn in general lately. I havent even liked the shit New Standard Elite has been putting out.

Fav label, love everything Dan puts out. I'm surprised you didn't like the newer stuff. What haven't you liked?

Overall there's a lot of good shit still out there, but the slam trend needs to die off.

So my brother in law played me a song by the Defones(some chick walking a dog), and to my surprise it was somewhat bearable(controversial?). He was like "look, i listen to some metal too" and pulled up some of their shit .... i chuckled inside for the obvious reasons.

Deftones is one of those nu metal bands that people (not just metalheads) feel OK to praise for some reason. Complete garbage imo, people that enjoy them should just go back to the shoegaze and whatnot they invariably compare them to. I'd take Linkin Park over them.