Controversial opinions on metal

Not enough blast beats in death metal as far as I'm concerned. Second DM album I ever heard and the first one I ever loved was Altars of Madness, and there were a shitload of awesome blast beats all over that. I was kind of shocked and disappointed to find out that wasn't widespread. Thank god for grindcore.

Blast beats are garbage 95% of the time when repeated for longer than a few bars. They belong in metal about as much as metalcore breakdowns do.

Blast beats are garbage 95% of the time when repeated for longer than a few bars. They belong in metal about as much as metalcore breakdowns do.

Fuck that. When done well, metalcore breakdowns are insanely good. You just have to ignore the scene drek.

Not enough blast beats in death metal as far as I'm concerned. Second DM album I ever heard and the first one I ever loved was Altars of Madness, and there were a shitload of awesome blast beats all over that. I was kind of shocked and disappointed to find out that wasn't widespread. Thank god for grindcore.

You should check out some brutal death metal.

You should check out some brutal death metal.

I'm very picky with brutal death metal. Suffocation, Cryptopsy, and Dying Fetus are great, but so much of it all sounds alike and all sounds boring. Really it's the ultra-techy side of brutal death metal that makes me yawn. About the only BDM band I've discovered recently that I actually like is Benighted.

Speaking of drumming, I tend to find blast beat abuse fine in a lot of black metal. It tends to blend into the background and supports the song. Flashy drumming can take away from the atmosphere and can be rather distracting. Exceptions do of course exist.

I'm not a fan of constant blasting in death metal, but I'll always be a sucker for a good tremolo/blast section.

I think blast beats tends to get a lot of undeserved hate. Like all drumming techniques, they are a tool that can be used effectively.

Though I agree with this, I much prefer Fenrizian (which is derivative of Philthy Animal) drumming in black metal I think. Drum fills etc.

I'm very picky with brutal death metal. Suffocation, Cryptopsy, and Dying Fetus are great, but so much of it all sounds alike and all sounds boring. Really it's the ultra-techy side of brutal death metal that makes me yawn. About the only BDM band I've discovered recently that I actually like is Benighted.

Check out the New Standard Elite label. Pretty much the best BDM has to offer.

Have some more blast beats you fucking degenerates:

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

Check out the New Standard Elite label. Pretty much the best BDM has to offer.

Have some more blast beats you fucking degenerates:

This is why I don't really like much brutal death metal. The technicality in that song means nothing to me, the vocals are dull as fuck, and it all combines into a mush of notes that might as well be arbitrary, even though they're not. I often like my death metal simpler, more direct, ugly, raw, and atmospheric. When I think of my perfect death metal sound, I'm pretty much thinking of shit like early Death, Obituary, and death thrash. Throw in some Swedish and Finnish death metal for good measure.

Reactions: The Butt