Controversial opinions on metal

Still way better than Trivium.

ZRN8_f-maxage-0.gif

Nah. Trivium are at least half gobshite, but they can actually write songs that aren't just an excuse to masturbate all over their guitars. Being listenable wins.

First impression: man Yngwie has a knack for finding good vocalists in general. Sort of like Ozzy and finding guitarists.
Yep, Tim "Ripper" Owens was yet another addition to the already absurdist catalogue of great singers he's worked with. Mark Boals, Joe Lynn Turner, Goran Edmän, Michael Vescera, Mats Levén, etc., he's got a wondrous ear for superlative, powerful clean vocalists. I guess its symptomatic of his general technical perfectionism.

Reactions: CiG and Baroque
There is most definitely some solid song writing on this. And this is yet another example where there is not too much emphasis on soloing like mr. barflord is suggesting.

If there's one fair complaint it's that, with Yngwie you often do have to turn a blind eye to the album covers lol.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Nah. Trivium are at least half gobshite, but they can actually write songs that aren't just an excuse to masturbate all over their guitars. Being listenable wins.

I'm beginning to enjoy this thing on UM wherein a new user comes along and totally embarrasses themselves.

Trivium just rip off Iron Maiden and then add parts that appeal to douchebag metalbros and cutting myself plastic-goth chicks.

If there's one fair complaint it's that, with Yngwie you often do have to turn a blind eye to the album covers lol.
Yeah, except for Trilogy and Eclipse, and perhaps a couple others, they tend to be eye-rapey. Perpetual Flame is one of the biggest offenders there.

Glad to hear, surprised you hadn't heard it being as big of a Malmsteen fan as you are.

I was a skeptic up until a few years ago actually. I knew a guy who was a huge fan and I just assumed I wouldn't like it somehow. Finally I was at some music store and they had a buy 5 get 1 free or some stupid deal, and I picked up Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy because I was feeling open minded. Since then I've explored all of the first half of his career, but again, assumed I wouldn't like his later half. Now I won't make that assumption either.