Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah, except for Trilogy and Eclipse, and perhaps a couple others, they tend to be eye-rapey. Perpetual Flame is one of the biggest offenders there.
I like a lot of the alternative covers.

Yngwie_Malmsteen_-_1995_-_Magnum_Opus_(Pony_Canyon).jpg

cover+from_www.rizadohong.blogspot.com.jpg

610hXcqT5ML.jpg

I'm beginning to enjoy this thing on UM wherein a new user comes along and totally embarrasses themselves.

Trivium just rip off Iron Maiden and then add parts that appeal to douchebag metalbros and cutting myself plastic-goth chicks.

I missed this; retarded opinion. If Trivium rips off anybody it's probably Metallica or Testament, and even that is a big exaggeration. They sound nothing like Iron Maiden, unless you think literally every post-Maiden band with melodic guitars is a Maiden ripoff.

I like a lot of the alternative covers.

Yngwie_Malmsteen_-_1995_-_Magnum_Opus_(Pony_Canyon).jpg

cover+from_www.rizadohong.blogspot.com.jpg

610hXcqT5ML.jpg

You know, I was done with this conversation, but Jesus Christ are those ugly. The first one is just boring. It's black. There's a border. And then some sword. Who cares.

The second one is way awful though. Apparently that album was released in 1997 so I'm going to assume that someone found a pic of that statue on the internet, thought "Well I need A picture for an album cover", and then called it a day. Combine that with some truly awful font and a pic of Yngwie awkwardly slapped onto the background and you have one of the most amateurish things I've ever seen.

And that third one... woof. I can't be sure but I think someone might have actually tried with that cover. Can't be sure though, cause that lame "vortex" effect is lazy as fuck looking, the whole pillar and demon mess that's going on looks more like the set to a Dio show than anything that should be on an album cover, again Yngwie is awkwardly *80s Photoshop equivalent*ed onto the rest of the clusterfuck with a godawful blue border, and the cherry on top is a sparkly lightning bolt of supreme, ultimate cheese.

WHO MADE THESE?!

You know, I was done with this conversation
Apparently not.

The first one is just boring. It's black. There's a border. And then some sword. Who cares.
Just because something is simple doesn't mean it's ugly. You're being hyperbolic here. Besides, the sword is pretty cool-looking. It has a nice, well-detailed guard on the hilt as well.

The second one is way awful though. Apparently that album was released in 1997 so I'm going to assume that someone found a pic of that statue on the internet, thought "Well I need A picture for an album cover", and then called it a day. Combine that with some truly awful font and a pic of Yngwie awkwardly slapped onto the background and you have one of the most amateurish things I've ever seen.
Yeah, but it isn't really ugly. Not to mention that it's more relevant to the actual album than the other album cover that just has a picture of him on it.

Also, I kind of dig the font for what this album was going for musically. It's meant to be a combination of a lot of '90s contemporary stuff like hard rock and grunge with his neoclassical affectations.

And that third one... woof. I can't be sure but I think someone might have actually tried with that cover. Can't be sure though, cause that lame "vortex" effect is lazy as fuck looking, the whole pillar and demon mess that's going on looks more like the set to a Dio show than anything that should be on an album cover, again Yngwie is awkwardly *80s Photoshop equivalent*ed onto the rest of the clusterfuck with a godawful blue border, and the cherry on top is a sparkly lightning bolt of supreme, ultimate cheese.
1. The vortex effect is fine. I've seen a hell of a lot worse when some attempt to utilize digital art for this kind of effect. Just saying.
2. So, let me get this straight. You think that a cover for a power metal album that looks like a set for a Dio show is...bad? In my book, that fits perfectly. :tickled:
3. What's wrong with cheese, bruh? You got something against having fun?!

Reactions: CiG
How does this description equate to ugliness? At least try to be consistent with your moronic opinions.

Just because something is simple doesn't mean it's ugly. You're being hyperbolic here. Besides, the sword is pretty cool-looking. It has a nice, well-detailed guard on the hilt as well.

It is not hyperbole, that cover is shit. Minimalism can be great, but that cover does not achieve anything, it's just lazy. And the hilt is cool-looking and well-detailed? That's just one thing on a whole cover that's supposed to come together with a unified aesthetic. And the sword still looks like shit.

Yeah, but it isn't really ugly. Not to mention that it's more relevant to the actual album than the other album cover that just has a picture of him on it.

Also, I kind of dig the font for what this album was going for musically. It's meant to be a combination of a lot of '90s contemporary stuff like hard rock and grunge with his neoclassical affectations.

No, it is ugly as sin. Whoever made that should be too busy being strung up from a lamp post to even be ashamed for such a lack of giving a shit. That statue could not possibly be more visually out of place. It's relevant just cause there's "animal" in the album name? I'm assuming that's what you mean, but that is such basic logic. Would it also be relevant to have a cover with Animal from the Muppets?

And how does that font express grunge and classical combined? It's just a generic Microsoft Word font that may very well have been chosen at random. I'm surprised they didn't use Wingdings.

1. The vortex effect is fine. I've seen a hell of a lot worse when some attempt to utilize digital art for this kind of effect. Just saying.

No it is not. It is cheap and garish.

2. So, let me get this straight. You think that a cover for a power metal album that looks like a set for a Dio show is...bad? In my book, that fits perfectly. :tickled:
3. What's wrong with cheese, bruh? You got something against having fun?!

Cheese and hey-nonny-nonsense is fine, but the aesthetics of cheese still have standards, and making your album cover look like an old episode of Dr. Who crosses the line and pees on it.

No, you just have horrendous, tacky taste. I shouldn't even have to convince anyone that those covers are retarded, and yet here I am, flabbergasted that anyone could be so unself aware. People like you are the reason we have Velvet Elvises. But yes, I am a dickhole and proud of it.

I only liked the first one, I agree with you about the rest for the most part.

The irony is that you're clearly overthinking and over-analyzing the first artwork, no way could you feel so strongly about something so simplistic. You're trying too hard and it shows.

I don't feel anything about the first one besides mild contempt, but when it sits next to the other two abominations and I'm shitting on them then it gets the same treatment.

Considering Beheaded's new album drops on Friday:

View attachment 8577

Okay, fine. Maybe I am getting a little crotchety in my advanced age, but I am really starting to rebel against most extreme metal made these days. I love extreme metal and I have been around this metal scene since its inception. I don't know what it is lately, but I am really starting to turn away from the (now) generic guttural vocals, chaotic/meaningless (or missing) guitar solos, and blast beats for blast beat's sake. A cacophony, unvirtue signalling to everyone how evil it is. It is getting a little stale. I like the old school stuff. I like other forms of metal. I just wonder how much of what is made lately is going to be remembered in ten years time.

Fuck it! Just put me in the rocking chair on the porch, put a blanket over me, and let me strike passersby with my cane.

Last edited: