Controversial opinions on metal

I don't remember Omni posting this back during the debate with HBB about Pagan Altar, this is pretty substantial proof that they were around at least in the earliest 1980s.

View attachment 8624

Actually, that was one of the very first things that made me question their existence in the first place. Some guy writes one of the most fellating reviews I've ever read, and it's printed on what looks to be one of the Dead Sea Scrolls? Admittedly at the time my Google skills failed me and I didn't realize that the magazine was widely spread (I thought it was fictitious as well), but I would like to see the full scan of the page it allegedly comes from; I believe I said initially that was one of the easiest way for me to change my mind.

I was actually starting to mellow on the Pagan Altar thing until someone on RYM transcribed the influences/thanks printed on Forest of Equilibrium, including pretty much every obscure doom metal and NWOBHM band imaginable, with no mention of Pagan Altar. Now I'm thinking they're fake again.

Their importance to shitty metal you mean? Could do without that...

Yeah, without Pantera we might not have killer bands like Devildriver, Chimaira, Damageplan, Lamb Of God, Machine Head etc.

tCgo5MC.gif

I was actually starting to mellow on the Pagan Altar thing until someone on RYM transcribed the influences/thanks printed on Forest of Equilibrium, including pretty much every obscure doom metal and NWOBHM band imaginable, with no mention of Pagan Altar. Now I'm thinking they're fake again.

I remember first reading that influences/thanks list and noting a few other essential exclusions.

I don't remember Omni posting this back during the debate with HBB about Pagan Altar, this is pretty substantial proof that they were around at least in the earliest 1980s.

View attachment 8624

look at the clarity of the ink/font .... it doesnt look liek something that was written on that actual piece of paper.

That being said, i have no fucking clue if they're fakers or not.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I remember first reading that influences/thanks list and noting a few other essential exclusions.

Here's the list, courtesy of RYM's Chaosmonger:

"Gaz thanks: Necromandus, Gracious, Tudor Lodge, Forest, Captain Beyond, May Blitz, Warhorse, Monument, Clear Blue Sky, Black Widow, Curved Air, Comus, Saturnalia, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Yes, ELP, Affinity, Caravan, Camel, Atomic Rooster, Mellow Candle, Gong, King Crimson, Aphrodite's Child 'and all other obscure 70s progressive/folk bands and all NWOBHM bands' (ha, really covered his bases there)

The band thanks: Black Sabbath (I can vouch for this band), Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Pentagram, Solitude Aeturnus, Witchfinder General, Asylum, Goblin, Revelation, Warcry, Cirith Ungol, Melvins, Merciful(sic) Fate, Confessor, Nigro Mantia, Black Widow, Diamanda Galas, Dream Death/Penance, Angel Witch, Godoreah, Mike Small's Rollercoaster, Death SS, Paul Chain, Dead Can Dance, Count Raven, Internal Void, Blue Cheer, Bomb Culture, Loch Ness "

Missing Trouble and Candlemass, but whatevs, still looks pretty damn thorough to me when it comes to things of doomy and psychedelic nature. If a band like Pagan Altar had the reach some allege, you'd think they'd be a fashionable thing to namedrop. Fucking Nigro Mantia even, but no Pagan Altar?

Yeah, without Pantera we might not have killer bands like Devildriver, Chimaira, Damageplan, Lamb Of God, Machine Head etc.

tCgo5MC.gif

I don't give a shit about LOG starting with As the Palaces Burn, but Burn the Priest and New American Gospel are brilliant.