Controversial opinions on metal

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was definitely not just a Black Sabbath clone. That's just one of many albums that could be named. The artists that you named in this post have more gratuitous similarities to Black Sabbath than that album.
Längqvist's vocals alone set Epicus apart from most doom metal, the timbre and sheer virtuosity of them, and then Messiah's vocals? Certainly the band's own. Flagrant Sabbath influence, but copycat? Hardly.

There's more NWOBHM and Trouble in Candlemass than Black Sabbath anyways. The classic stuff, of course, some of their 90s stuff is certainly Sabbath-y.

Reactions: CiG
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was definitely not just a Black Sabbath clone. That's just one of many albums that could be named. The artists that you named in this post have more gratuitous similarities to Black Sabbath than that album.

Valid point. I like Candlemass. I'm talking about the legions of doom metal Sabbath rip-offs on Soundcloud.

They picked the one song that would make them sound unbearably samey for the rest of their career. Though I do admit with certain albums they hit distinguishable high points. Come My Fanatics and Witchcult Today for example.

Electric Wizard is one of the most popular doom metal bands, period... which is kinda comical when you guys seem to be able to pin them down so easily.

Lee dorrian lines his pockets with shit bands anyway: sunno))))))), ghost, electric wizard, and his own crap band

But hey, when people are dumb enough to buy it, why not?

Reactions: SonOfNun
I confess that most of the time I like the idea of Electric Wizard more than the actual music. I love the aesthetic, and Jus and Liz certainly have brilliant taste, I could listen to them talk about film for hours, but by and large they're style of doom doesn't always translate to my ears. They do have some jams though, the aforementioned "Funeralopolis" being a shining example.

Reactions: CiG
They sound very artificially heavy to me.
One of the reasons it irks me to constantly see Dopethrone hailed as of the of "heaviest albums ever!" is, despite the guitar and bass tones, the drums sound like ass and really subtract a few "heavy" points. Not sure if that really had anything to do with the point you were making but I see where your coming from.

Reactions: Manic Ferocity