Controversial opinions on metal

I've just played Demon Souls and Dark Souls but yeah, it's definitely not your average hack-n-slash @HBB. Can't say either place in my top 10 of favorite games but they are definitely special. They basically take you on an emotional roller coaster of rage, satisfaction, hatred, joy, despair, accomplishment, existential crisis, and finally nihilism.

EDIT: Thought I was in the gamer's thread?

Controversial opinion: Now that I'm relistening to 1996 albums, I feel more and more like Immolation are kind of hit-and-miss. They have too much fluff in many of their records. Definitely a band that's better heard live than on CD.

Last edited:
Trouble has a lot of non-doom stuff even in their early discography

Sure, but that doesn't make them not a doom metal band.

there's probably some stuff by Pentagram that is close enough to "stoner rock"

He's probably only heard their 1970's material, which isn't stoner at all but just hard rock. Their 80's material isn't stoner in any way whatsoever.

and never listening to Revelation is a wise decision.

Eh, difference of opinion I can deal with. I love Revelation though.

Revelation has some good stuff, cmon. Out of that maryland crowd, i prefer Unorthodox.

Unless we count Blood Farmers, then Blood Farmers win

- I can't get into death metal. At all.
- Their Siren Charms album notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoy all of the other In Flames albums, including Battles.
- Outside of the Ironbound album, I don't care for Overkill's other albums. I will, however, give them props for longevity.
- Killswitch Engage is a great band.

God Hates Kerry King, because his name is kerry and he's an asshole, now god hates the world, he hates me cause I was born.

Reactions: The Butt
- Their Siren Charms album notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoy all of the other In Flames albums, including Battles.
I don't know how you can dislike Siren Charms yet like Battles. They share so many of the same problems. Not to mention their other boring records like Soundtrack to Your Escape and A Sense of Purpose. They have an excruciatingly flawed discography.

- Outside of the Ironbound album, I don't care for Overkill's other albums. I will, however, give them props for longevity.
Really? Not even Years of Decay, Taking Over, Feel the Fire or Horrorscope? What don't you like about them?

I don't know how you can dislike Siren Charms yet like Battles. They share so many of the same problems. Not to mention their other boring records like Soundtrack to Your Escape and A Sense of Purpose. They have an excruciatingly flawed discography.

Everything after Clayman is a flaw in their discography.

Pretty much all In Flames albums are garbage. Lunar Strain and The Jester Race are okay, everything else I've heard sucks. Especially Whoracle, which seems to be highly rated by their fans for reasons I don't understand.

Reactions: CiG and Mort Divine