Controversial opinions on metal

I like Swedish old school death metal a lot, but I can't understand why most people think that God Macabre - The Winterlong is the best Swedish OSDM album. I can think of lots of Swedish OSDM albums that are easily as good and event better.

I don't know a lot about Swedish OSDM, nor do I know a lot about swedish DM for that matter, but from what I've heard from sweden so far, my favorite album is Entombed's Left Hand Path.

I don't know a lot about Swedish OSDM, nor do I know a lot about swedish DM for that matter, but from what I've heard from sweden so far, my favorite album is Entombed's Left Hand Path.
That's a very good one, and better than The Winterlong, IMO. I can't even say what my favorite Swedish OSDM album is. There are so many that are very good. Dismember - Like An Eveflowing Stream, Wombbath - Infernal Caustic Torments, Grave - You'll Never See are some of my favorites. Others that are great, without the typical Swedish buzzsaw sound are Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence, Desultory - Into Eternity, Seance - Forever Laid to Rest, Unleashed - Shadows in the Deep, etc.

Florida DM is my fav after swedish and finnish DM. I don't like Deicide or Obituary when it comes to florida DM and love just about everything else.

That's a very good one, and better than The Winterlong, IMO. I can't even say what my favorite Swedish OSDM album is. There are so many that are very good. Dismember - Like An Eveflowing Stream, Wombbath - Infernal Caustic Torments, Grave - You'll Never See are some of my favorites. Others that are great, without the typical Swedish buzzsaw sound are Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence, Desultory - Into Eternity, Seance - Forever Laid to Rest, Unleashed - Shadows in the Deep, etc.

Utumno were deff one of the best Swedish Death metal bands and never stuck around to make an impact in DM. Across The Horizon is actually being reissued.

I get this feeling you have not heard them so check this out.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=Q01GSXQ0NHZ0TWxjR0E9PQ

My controversial opinon:

the sliding scale where a band has to have a certain level of heaviness compared to current bands in order to be called metal is a bad idea because music genres just don't work like that so why should metal.

Should slayer come under hard rock one day? fuck no, whatever changes happen in metal it's just a retarded idea. The newer stuff can just be defined by a sub genre but I don't agree with music slipping out of the metal net if ever was regarded as heavy metal (and actually called that).

Actually not calling later stuff metal would make more sense.

I don't think that "sliding scale" is as big as is claimed. I think a lot of newer rock bands today are heavier than the first metal bands, but the actual music is structured differently, hence them not being metal despite being heavy enough.

My controversial opinon:

the sliding scale where a band has to have a certain level of heaviness compared to current bands in order to be called metal is a bad idea because music genres just don't work like that so why should metal.

Should slayer come under hard rock one day? fuck no, whatever changes happen in metal it's just a retarded idea. The newer stuff can just be defined by a sub genre but I don't agree with music slipping out of the metal net if ever was regarded as heavy metal (and actually called that).

Actually not calling later stuff metal would make more sense.

This post stemmed from another "AC/DC are/aren't metal" discussion in the non-metal forum. I've well and truly said my piece in that thread, so I'll just say this here: The evolution of metal came from rock music getting harder, so obviously the line is going to be blurred. The purely blues-based rock bands of the seventies were only regarded as metal by some people because the genre was still in its infancy and had yet to be clearly defined imo. I don't think of AC/DC as metal band even though they influenced and helped define the genre to an extent. Their music is pure Hard Rock, there's nothing metal about it. Slayer will always be regarded as metal because the genre is established and defined now, and this doesn't mean it can't evolve further, but the bands who shaped the genre through the glory years have well and truly cemented their place in metal history.

pretty much outside of OSDM, DM sucks.
:lol:
That actually made me laugh.
For real.

I don't think that "sliding scale" is as big as is claimed. I think a lot of newer rock bands today are heavier than the first metal bands, but the actual music is structured differently, hence them not being metal despite being heavy enough.

Absolutely. You can put a fuckload of distortion on, but in the end you're still playing hard rock. And you can play it acoustically, but bloodbath will always be metal.

- recent trends here, and the general "accept everyone as they are" attitude would suggest a number of people like nu-metal and are proud of it.
- i think burzum is tremedously overrated and i dont listen to any of it at all either (a number of ppl share this viewpoint)
- marduk and anthrax do in fact suck
- liking slipknot to me is no worse than liking meshuggah
- i dont listen to any power metal ... he doesn't listen to any black metal. im sure there are plenty of people out there that dont listen to particular genres.

the question therefore begs; why is it ok to agree/accept one of his statements, but not all at once?

actually i agree with the marduk and anthrax statement... the other comments are laughable