Controversial opinions on metal

Blizzard Beasts - Immortal

The production on Blizzard Beasts is terrible and the album is unlistenable. It's not just because of the production either and is just musically laughable(honestly how can you suck at playing instruments that bad)

Blizzard Beasts is my favorite Immortal album. You cannot deny Mountains of Might.

I've never been a production critic. It seems futile to whine about it. Instead, I enjoy the music for what it is, not what it could have been.

Same here, but the great writing really helps make it a quality album. Darken later improved production-wise, but none of the writing is as memorable as TS except a few songs off Fire Chariot or Dawn imo.

Blizzard Beasts is my favorite Immortal album. You cannot deny Mountains of Might.

I've never been a production critic. It seems futile to whine about it. Instead, I enjoy the music for what it is, not what it could have been.

I couldn't enjoy Blizzard Beasts because of the shitty production.

I'm in agreement with J. However if anyone else here is a Vision Divine fan, the production on 'The Perfect Machine' is just wretched. It sounds like a bunch of people throwing toasters around in the desert. Every instrument tone sucks. It's one of the few albums that I really have to sometimes struggle to listen to.

The production on Blizzard Beasts is terrible and the album is unlistenable. It's not just because of the production either and is just musically laughable(honestly how can you suck at playing instruments that bad)
You go ahead and say a decent Immortal album (back before they switched over to blackened heavy metal) sucks and say black metal sucks, but then you attack anyone who has an opinion you don't agree with as if your opinion is right, and everyone else is wrong.

That's why I like Darkthrone so much. They have a raw, cold production to them, yet I can still here everything well.

I don't get why people say Darkthrone is hard to listen to or act like you can't hear what they're playing. It makes me wonder why deaf people are so attracted to black metal.

I don't think I have that much early black metal. I only have burzum's first and DMDS, and that's pretty much it. I prefer later black metal because the production is usually better (more listenable sorry if I'm not kvlt enough for you)

I don't get why people say Darkthrone is hard to listen to or act like you can't hear what they're playing. It makes me wonder why deaf people are so attracted to black metal.

Pretty much. You can hear what they're playing just fine. It's not sharp quality like most death metal, but it's not so fuzzy that it's inaudible. I don't understand why people say they can't hear what's going on. It's quite clear to me. There are numerous other black metal bands with far worse production...

I don't think I have that much early black metal. I only have burzum's first and DMDS, and that's pretty much it. I prefer later black metal because the production is usually better (more listenable sorry if I'm not kvlt enough for you)

poser

What's so bad about the production on Blizzard Beasts? I think it sounds fine. Battles in the North is the one that sounds like shit.

Pure Holocaust has poor, blurry production as well. But the music is so good that I overlook that. The same can be said for all of their first three albums. The production on Blizzard Beasts is actually better than on the first three.

Would it be controversial to say that At The Heart of Winter > Pure Holocaust, no matter how small the difference is for me?

Well I am a much bigger fan of Death Metal and its subgenres, but I do enjoy a bit of black metal, and I do not believe that black metal and good production don't mix!

Just to name a few albums that in my opinion are great + are well produced:

Blizzard Beasts - Immortal
Panzer Division Marduk - Marduk
Pandemonic Incantations - Behemoth
Dödens Evangelium - Ondskapt

those immortal and marduk albums blow.