Controversial opinions on metal

What's so bad about the production on Blizzard Beasts? I think it sounds fine. Battles in the North is the one that sounds like shit.

Personally, I think everything just sounds thin and feeble (especially the drums) to the point of being unlistenable. Never mind the fact that the drumming is sloppy as fuck, but that's a different matter.

I've always been accepting when it comes to production, but that one fucking album pisses me off.

One album I legitimately had to get used to how it sounded was 'Deathcult for Eternity'. It sounds like it's lacking a proper mastering or...something. I can't put my finger on what the glaze is that makes everything on it sound kind of..beaten down/lo-fi? I have every Chasm album and the ones before aren't lacking what 'Deathcult' is production wise despite them also being bare-bones. It's my favorite Chasm, but if there were a slight remix and remaster.... :worship:

...it would completely fuck up the ambience which is a huuuuge part of what makes that album so unbelievably good.

One of my fav death metal albums, by the way, right up there with The Red in the Sky Is Ours and Seven Churches.

Not necessarily, but I knew someone was gonna rush to say that. I can think of a lot of ways it could be slightly cleaned up and still retain the atmosphere. Since it's arguably their best, it deserves to have the details heard a little better and what I'm thinking of wouldn't turn it upside down or anything.

Alright, I'll accept your premiss, but I maintain my scepticism. As long as that mystical aura is maintained, though, it will remain a mandatory pillar in death metal history.

Of course. Do you hear what I mean though when you listen to 'Procreation of the Inner Temple' and 'From The Lost Years..' next to 'Deathcult'? All three of those are bare bones, lo-fi, etc, which adds to the atmosphere, but the first two just sound like they were 'finished', it's got to be the mastering. But Corchado himself has expressed unhappiness with how 'Deathcult' was wrapped up, studio guys taking it into their own hands, so...............utterly incredible recording though, a powerful statement, and so colorful.

I should mention that I was initially confusing Blizzard Beasts with Battles in the North, and that Blizzard Beasts doesn't sound all that bad. Battles in the North is the album that sounds fucking atrocious. Blizzard Beasts is the better album in pretty much every way, but still not enough for me to care.