Controversial opinions on metal

I like Symbolic (though I think I still like latter day MA better), but I really hate The Sound of Perseverance. It's wankery plus horrible vocals.
I can understand disliking the vocals, as they're definitely not for everyone, but TSOP has alot of great writing on it, even if it's played really fast.

When I listen to TSOP I just hear ripping progressive thrash, nothing more or less than that. I feel like if it was a different band some people would be singing a different song about it than they are. Not all, but some.

Also, to continue the theme of the thread, I pretty much don't find any ATG to be too good at all. I appreciate what they were trying to do with the early stuff, but the writing just doesn't hit the mark for me. I'm still trying to find a record that has some really really inspired songwriting but in that odd, atmospheric, death/black/prog-ish.....style..thing. The second Chasm is sort of like that but that could be better too.

TSOP is by no means progressive thrash, and even if you were just using thrash as an expressive term there, there's just way too much pointless herking-and-jerking on that album, it gets pretty damn annoying. Also Chuck sounds like total shit (not to mention he absolutely destroyed Painkiller...goddamn) most of the time, including total voice-cracks in Bite the Pain! Anyway, I like listening to Spirit Crusher and Voice of the Soul here and there, but most of the album sounds like poo to me.

IMO, Crimson Massacre seems to have continued where Alf and early ATG left off. Can't wait to hear the new record.

I agree the Priest cover sucks, the feel is horrible too. I know not what to call the riffs on the album but thrash, however, and I'm not using 'progressive' as in...it's doing something new...rather as in the 'prog' sense metal is mostly familiar with, of utilizing odd scales and signatures within the music.

TSOP is by no means progressive thrash, and even if you were just using thrash as an expressive term there, there's just way too much pointless herking-and-jerking on that album, it gets pretty damn annoying. Also Chuck sounds like total shit (not to mention he absolutely destroyed Painkiller...goddamn) most of the time, including total voice-cracks in Bite the Pain! Anyway, I like listening to Spirit Crusher and Voice of the Soul here and there, but most of the album sounds like poo to me.
I don't hear the voice cracks, in fact, they seem to be MORE prominent on earlier albums. Human comes to mind. And where's this herking-and-jerking? Everything on that album flows very naturally to me.

I don't hear the voice cracks, in fact, they seem to be MORE prominent on earlier albums. Human comes to mind. And where's this herking-and-jerking? Everything on that album flows very naturally to me.

Um, you don't hear them? Chorus of Bite the Pain, second time 'round. Trust me.

Also, no it doesn't. The structure of songs like Scavenger of Human Sorrow sound ludicrously broken.

Yeah, namely that neither has any of what you just said.

Alf, alongside the boys in The Chasm, are is the best songwriter in death metal. Chuck has only like two songs that deviate from a typical verse-chorus-verse structure, definition of boring and unoriginal.