Controversial opinions on metal

That Thanksgiving analogy doesn't work if you don't eat a platter of Dragonforce two hours earlier, which anyone with good taste won't do anyway.

I thought the exact same thing.

The Gallery is an outright classic, eclipsed only by the sentiments of elitists who prefer Skydancer.

I actually love Skydancer, but I don't think they achieved the pinnacle of genius that they did on The Gallery. Skydancer is interesting to listen to because it hints at what they're leading up to (and it's cool to hear Anders sing on a Dark Tranquillity record, although I prefer Stanne).

Only SOTS could be anywhere near considered neo-thrash

That might be so. I only really listened to SOTS. Swedih metal fans seem to ahve a huge hard on for ATG and SOTS in general. I believe it was voted as one of the, if not the best, album of the fucking MILLENIUM in Swedens biggest metal magazine. Sure the magazine now suck nd has for years but still. Way, way, way overrated.

Another controversial opinion on DT: Mikael Stanne does NOT look like the kind of guy who would do scathing harsh vocals. He looks more like a sad doomy guy.

Mikael.jpg

That might be so. I only really listened to SOTS. Swedih metal fans seem to ahve a huge hard on for ATG and SOTS in general. I believe it was voted as one of the, if not the best, album of the fucking MILLENIUM in Swedens biggest metal magazine. Sure the magazine now suck nd has for years but still. Way, way, way overrated.

I think that was TRITSIO actually, if you're talking about Close-up.

*edit* no you're right it was SOTS, man Close-up sucks. Best album of 91-08 huh?!

Sometimes I get in the mood for Blinded by Fear and when I listen further I start to think "hey this album isn't as bad as I remember", then by about track 4 I think "hang on, yes it is". About the only thing going for it overall is Lindberg's career-best vocal performance (at least with ATG).

My highlight of last year was been able to see ATG live twice, both in concert and festival. As soon as they ripedp out the opening riff of Slaughter of the soul the feelings i had were on par with the first time i had sex. Incredible way to start a concert.

I think that was TRITSIO actually, if you're talking about Close-up.

*edit* no you're right it was SOTS, man Close-up sucks. Best album of 91-08 huh?!

Yeah, I was talking about close-up. But they always had a hard on for SOTS. For what reason I dont know...

Sometimes I get in the mood for Blinded by Fear and when I listen further I start to think "hey this album isn't as bad as I remember", then by about track 4 I think "hang on, yes it is". About the only thing going for it overall is Lindberg's career-best vocal performance (at least with ATG).

I hate that. I have a few of those albums as well. It starts out and Im like "hell yeah, alot better than i remembered" but then after a few tracks Im totally tired of it. Cant give any good examples though - nothing comes up at the top of my head...

The Gallery is an outright classic, eclipsed only by the sentiments of elitists who prefer Skydancer.

Can someone explain me what do they find in early Dark Tranquillity so exciting? I've tried a lot, but I just can't get into it. I find the music rather dull and insipid.

My highlight of last year was been able to see ATG live twice, both in concert and festival. As soon as they ripedp out the opening riff of Slaughter of the soul the feelings i had were on par with the first time i had sex. Incredible way to start a concert.

Fuck yeah, saw them at wacken. Thousands of people all screaming " GO" - just incredable.

I don't knock Dark Tranquillity's later material; I actually think their latest is very good. However, I cannot fathom how people think The Gallery is bad. It's not the most accessible record by any means, and I think it takes patience and effort to discover the subtleties of the music; but I still think it's their best release.

I didn't like The Gallery first time I listened to it, it took me a while, expect for the song Lethe I just fucking loved it from the first time I listened to it.

Fuck yeah, saw them at wacken. Thousands of people all screaming " GO" - just incredable.

ATG showed people why they're the best Melodic Death metal band ever at Wacken.

I love The Gallery by DT. For a while I distanced myself from the Gothenburg style. When I heard DT was releasing Damage Done I figured I'd give it a try since I hadn't listened to that style of music in a while and honestly, that is one of the worst albums I've ever listened to. Everything about it, the production, the song writing, it's just downright bad. Every song sounds the same, the production makes it sound like an AM radio station. It just blew me away at how bad and repetitive that band had become. I listened to their later releases a few times to see if there was something wrong with me and I just couldn't make myself like it.

I can't remember if it was at Hellfest or Wacken but 99% of the crowd was completely outa time it seemed. ATG, Carcass and Morbid Angel were definitely the best performances I saw last year in a big 'epic' kinda way.

ATG showed people why they're the best Melodic Death metal band ever at Wacken.

Eh. They were very good live but no. :p