Controversial opinions on metal

I don't see how Christian themes would necessarily kill metal...maybe death metal might seem weird, but for example a lot of power metal is about defending the weak and being upright and all that shit and I don't see how it would be incompatible with Christian themes, besides which Christianity brings with it biblical imagery, a lot of which is undeniably fucking epic.

I can understand that a band being Christian would make the lyrics or image seem really bad, but not them having any impact on the actual music. Does being Christian somehow make you a bad musician?

I think the xian themes do affect the skill hahaha. But I like music not just for the music but the imagery as well. Jesus is not imagery that appeals to me, unless he's being flayed or something. And the juxtaposition of power metal themes and xianity is absurd. What about xianity is about 'defending the weak' and shit? They killed animals for gOD. That's epic?

And the juxtaposition of power metal themes and xianity is absurd. What about xianity is about 'defending the weak' and shit? They killed animals for gOD. That's epic?
I don't see why you couldn't put Christian themes into power metal tbh. We're talking about theology, not practice. That said, Avantasia's The Metal Opera already kinda does this.

Christianity kills metal for me. It's just a contradiction. Like Mortification. I can't stand them simply cuz the christian themes. Plus they blow anyway. And being agnostic seems like a cheap way out...

Why is Christian Metal a contradiction?

Lots of metal bands sing about real issues, politics, love, fantasy...so who cares about lyrics being about the Lord? I fail to see how lyrical content = good song structure and killer musicianship.

As for Mortification - get the eff out of here! lol...I'm not a huge fan, but they write some awesome riffs. You can't even tell what they are singing about - yet you make your opinion based on their Christian image. That's effing retarded and close minded...just like all the people who think Metal = satan.

X

Some of the opinions on this page are utterly shocking and unspeakably controversial! :yow: The extreme rebellion and well-thought out opinion is just oozing out of each word! Can you even SAY some of this stuff on the Internet? My entire life has just been flipped upside down. WOW. o_O

Christianity kills metal for me. It's just a contradiction. Like Mortification. I can't stand them simply cuz the christian themes. Plus they blow anyway. And being agnostic seems like a cheap way out...

Scrolls of the Megilloth is a good song, it's the only good one by them I've heard though.

Tbh I'd rather listen to some moderate Christian lyrics and not be a rebel than listen to some fundamentalist Islamic ones and be a rebel [retard].

Leaving aside the Jeebus for a moment, what's good about this band? Everything I ever heard from them was either highly derivative of something else, or sounded like proto-metalcore.

are you talking about Tourniquet because I fail to see how they sound like metalcore. Not hearing any hardcore influence at all. Just interesting thrash with Kind Diamond type vocals. They apparently changed style though and I only have their first album.

Anyway I strongly urge all the people who keep bitching over the fact that I said a Christian band are as good as really highly rated secular bands to actually download and listen to Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding. It's sexual. Some of the songs are on youtube actually.

I know but TD is just as good, if not better in some respects. And it's probably a good starting place

and Dichotomy was produced by devin townsend, of course it's better