Controversial opinions on metal

Without fucking Buddy Holly metal wouldn't exist, and I think 50's rock n' roll (bar Chuck Berry) is fucking shit too.

I couldn't give a fuck if Agnostic Front wanked Celtic Frost off before every gig; they still sound like fucking shit to me.

I don't usually notice what moods of metal I'm in, but tonight I'm in a thrash mood. Currently spinning Sodom's Obsessed by Cruelty.

Without fucking Buddy Holly metal wouldn't exist, and I think 50's rock n' roll (bar Chuck Berry) is fucking shit too.

I couldn't give a fuck if Agnostic Front wanked Celtic Frost off before every gig; they still sound like fucking shit to me.

Fair enough. I just hate when people think metal has nothing to do with punk.

edit: fuckin ninja-ed

True. Just because you like a certain kind of music doesn't mean you have to like everything that influenced it. That would mean we all would have to like everything from old British folk music to blues to rock n roll to hard rock in addition to metal..... which, frankly, I don't.

Could somebody reccomend me the quintessential flower metal band? I've heard a lot about it but I've never heard any of the actual music.

Luca Turilli. Double bass drumming, allegedly "classical" phrasing, vocal multitracking, gratuious female vocals, and even bad "dramatic" narration are all showcased. A pretty representative introduction to flower metal. May cause testicular shrinkage, listen at own risk.

Freedom Call. Check out the offensive fake trumpet intro to "Land of the Light", which sounds like an even worse version of Europe's "The Final Countdown".

Sonata Arctica. One of the less obnixous Euro-power metal bands to me or some reason, the three tracks at the bottom are what you should listen to. The other songs are from their new album and sound like...Finnish Evanescence? They actually are kind of heavy, although Toni Kakko's Finnish accent is really comical (check out the way he drags out his R's).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LgXh7F0dU8]Stratovarius[/ame] Stratovarius' "Eagleheart" video is another pretty typical anthem.

Now I must spin Rust in Peace to wash off all the sugar. Careful not to rot your teeth.

If you think that vocalists like Christina Aguilera and Tori Amos are talentless then I'm really going to die of shock.

Well, on the plus side, I wouldn't have to listen to you bitch anymore. :Smug:

The majority of mainstream pop is mechanically mass-produced tripe for the impatient consumer. It has no bearing on the metal community, even flower metal. I've tried to play flower metal for people who only listen to mainstream pop music, and they can't stand it. Just because it's catchy and has optimistic themes doesn't make it pop. Flower metal muscians don't have videos floating around MTV or songs blasting on mainstream FM radio. They work damn hard to make the music they make, and get shit little in return.. That's why your comparison is dumb, in my opinion.

Many people I know who listen to extreme metal argue that flower/power metal is gentler on the ear, and thus easier to listen to. This is why they don't like it, and claim that those who listen to it simply can't stand the ferocity of the music they love. I think that door swings both ways. Extreme music fans simply can't stand the more optimistic, "cleaner" approach of power metal. It's simply a matter of taste. Quit comparing it to pop music, because that's not "all it is."

Well, on the plus side, I wouldn't have to listen to you bitch anymore. :Smug:

The majority of mainstream pop is mechanically mass-produced tripe for the impatient consumer. It has no bearing on the metal community, even flower metal. I've tried to play flower metal for people who only listen to mainstream pop music, and they can't stand it. Just because it's catchy and has optimistic themes doesn't make it pop. Flower metal muscians don't have videos floating around MTV or songs blasting on mainstream FM radio. They work damn hard to make the music they make, and get shit little in return.. That's why your comparison is dumb, in my opinion.

Many people I know who listen to extreme metal argue that flower/power metal is gentler on the ear, and thus easier to listen to. This is why they don't like it, and claim that those who listen to it simply can't stand the ferocity of the music they love. I think that door swings both ways. Extreme music fans simply can't stand the more optimistic, "cleaner" approach of power metal. It's simply a matter of taste. Quit comparing it to pop music, because that's not "all it is."

But it IS pop-oriented in some ways. Pretty much anything that has a commercial appeal has pop leanings. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

What the goddamn fuck is flower metal? Seriously, what is the world coming to? I'm already having enough trouble with the concept of folk metal. Back in my day, this sort of thing wouldn't have been allowed. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.[/oldcuntrant]

You'd think that once I start exaggerating my opinion to enormous levels that one would pick up on my trolling but ... who knows?! Not I.

What the goddamn fuck is flower metal? Seriously, what is the world coming to? I'm already having enough trouble with the concept of folk metal. Back in my day, this sort of thing wouldn't have been allowed. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.[/oldcuntrant]

It's not a real genre as V5 stated. People just call european power metal bands like Sonta Arctica who use keyboards as a main instrument that, because it's too "gay" for their "kvlt" extreme metal taste.

Weren't you the guy making the argument against Life Sucks using a (very funny) video of a comedian saying gay sex is even more badass? :p