Controversial opinions on metal

I don't aspire to be like Dodens so much as I consider him to be a friend and kindred spirit in some ways. I wish that people wouldn't act like they knew me prior to me talking to him, since only V5 can make that claim and he's the one who suggested I talk to Dodens in the first place, since he said we're similar. :)

Forgive me any presumptions I may have made. I should have used the word "may" instead of "probably". Consequently I would have changed the "may" that is after the comma to "could".

I'd rather listen to The Gathering then anything since The New Order. But I'd rather just not listen to any of them.

The New Order is probably my favorite, but after that your list is pretty good. The Ritual should be a little lower, too - it's pretty good, but definitely not deserving of third place.

Well, since this is all an internet phenomenon, you have to think about the medium here. It certainy wasn't like this even a few years ago, when the internet was still seen primarily as an information exchange, a way of circulating knowledge - back then the 'online presence' of metal naturally had more or less the same role and spirit as fanzines, so there was nothing wrong with discussing the things one enjoys about the genre ("intellectually" or otherwise) and being passionate or long-winded about it... actually, it was pretty much the norm.

Now, though, most people seem to approach the internet as "social networking", so maybe that's why they're expecting the same level of communication as when they're drunkenly socializing in real life, and - by projection - ridiculously assign social motives ("elitism"/"snobbery") to anything which deviates from that. When you have a social club, you always have an influx of those who just want to belong, and anything which is above the lowest common denominator is a threat to that - so they resort to anti-intellectualism and bleatings of attempted mockery, but it's really just a defense mechanism.

I look at it like this: just allow them to, and they'll transform metal into a microcosm of the same social club for wankers which is "the mainstream" that metal used to shun. That's why if I have to choose between the communication style of Dark Legions Archives and being a youtube comments mongoloid, it'll always be the former.

FIRST!!!1

+1

It's an opinion on the value/validity/other things of the way that metal is discussed through the "new" medium of the internet and how it was different and why it's different now and the values/other things of asdf;asdlkfjsdflk;sjlaksfjalksj you get my point shut up

It's an opinion on the value/validity/other things of the way that metal is discussed through the "new" medium of the internet and how it was different and why it's different now and the values/other things of asdf;asdlkfjsdflk;sjlaksfjalksj you get my point shut up

still not an opinion on metal music, won't shut up

controversial opinions on metal =/= only opinions about metal music

[regurgitated]All Black Sabbath albums are good.[/regurgitated]