Controversial opinions on metal

I must agree that this thread is really getting bad now.

Start a new thread called "controversial opinions on metal culture and dialogue" or something tbh

I have decided that I do not wish to speak to anybody who dislikes

StRunningWild.jpg

I should have specified "Doom Metal" when I said "their own game." Candlemass is darker, benefits from heavier production, and has had (Johann/Messiah) better vocalists than Ozzy was.

I should have specified "Doom Metal" when I said "their own game." Candlemass is darker, benefits from heavier production, and has had (Johann/Messiah) better vocalists than Ozzy was.

they aren't darker, their darkness is just more theatrical.

i'd possibly put a sorcerer's pledge right up amongst the best sabbath tunes. but man, hand of doom, snowblind, NIB, etcetc, these tunes blow all other candlemass out of the water.

...and Sabbath weren't making stoner, doom, metal, or anything. They were just playing their own original brand of rock and roll. In retrospect it is these things, and has influenced so much metal, but at the time it was just their music. They cannot be outdone at that by any metal or doom band.

Well at that time, bands like Zeppelin and Sabbath were often called heavy metal, I think. (not saying that Zeppelin is or anything)

Well now you're arguing from influence and precedence. I'm challenging the notion that what one band lays down can't be taken by another band to a level that several may claim, unabashedly, as more enjoyable. In other words, that context per se shouldn't necessarily convince you to prefer one band more than another.

Keep in mind I'm focusing on Sabbath's Doom Metal aspect.

This is where things get tricky. Of course you're allowed to like one band more than another without fear of retaliation, but when you speak of something being "better" than something else (even in a subjective tone, like, saying "Candlemass is better than Black Sabbath to me") you make a partially objective claim (seemingly, anyway, despite trying to dispel that with "to me").

i agree zeph, i just don't think candlemass are better. or darker. i suspect you have an extremely unsubtle conception of what constitutes 'darkness'. this would also explain your love for symphonic records with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

but whatever i love candlemass.

I might be getting too analytical but in things like this I always wonder if it's sonic merits that are being observed, or strict songwriting, or...... in using terms such as 'taken to another level', for example.... I suppose it just seems too easy to call out older material as obsolete or similar in comparison to new music, and by the same token there's also a crowd who consistently revels in pointing out how newer music has not 'done anything new'... but there again, I question *how* the music is being listened to... are we looking for musical bells and whistles that the other record wasn't daring enough to include, or is it really about the songwriting, and if it is, how much weight do those bells and whistles (or lack thereof) really pull in the enjoyment factor?

Of course, I *can* understand when one record sort of sounds like it *almost* grasps the vision, and then another record seems to see it clearest, and maybe that's really as simple as this gets.

Of course, I *can* understand when one record sort of sounds like it *almost* grasps the vision, and then another record seems to see it clearest, and maybe that's really as simple as this gets.

this is perfectly acceptable in theory but hardly ever happens in practice. something to do with the creative inspiration and spirit and lack of constriction that naturally tends to accompany being formative.