Controversial opinions on metal

Images & Words is pure brilliance from beginning to end. One of it's only faults is a fairly obnoxious snare drum.

...And on this forum, I guess that'd be controversial.

Satanstoenail, that is so true. I really dislike Dream Theater's vocals in most of their songs - it just seems as though he's trying to do good progressive vocals by half-singing, and it doesn't quite sound right. If Dream Theater had Symphony X's vocals, however ... :kickass:

I think Symphony X tend to get abit bland but their latest stuff is alot better. Before it was to much power metal without charachter or feel for me. Their vocalist is however awesome. One of the very best at what he does.

I love the snare drum on that album. 80's-inspired cheese FTW!

The problem for me isnt the sound they were aiming for it is that it is triggered (or at least it sounds like it is). The same sound thoughout the whole cd makes it annoying if one starts to think about it to much.

I don't think this would be that controversial, more of a rant. How the fuck did Corrosion of Conformity manage to sandwich the piece of shit that is "America's Volume Dealer" (which is an undeservingly badass title to a shitty album imo) between good albums like Wiseblood and In the Arms of God?

I like how you call everyone that disagrees with your taste or opinions a cynic, meanwhile you insult other people's taste and opinions constantly.

Annihilator is like that lemon at the car lot that never really properly accelerates and gets an enormous hole blown in the radiator after 100,000. Great rhythm guitar tone on many of the albums though, IMO. Very close to what I want sometimes.

Symphony X is pretty much worthless tbh. The songs are usually a pretty decent chorus surrounded by layers and layers of that horrible, lumbering American 'intense groove' sound mixed with a bunch of old Dream Theater licks.

Symphony X is pretty much worthless tbh. The songs are usually a pretty decent chorus surrounded by layers and layers of that horrible, lumbering American 'intense groove' sound mixed with a bunch of old Dream Theater licks.

I think "the oddyssey" was good (especialy the title track was awesome) and "paradise lost" was alright. I also hate their sound however. Alot of the time way to polished and perfect. And of course with such a great bass player as they have and to continuously push his bass into the very back of the production is a shame.

I think "the oddyssey" was good (especialy the title track was awesome) and "paradise lost" was alright. I also hate their sound however. Alot of the time way to polished and perfect. And of course with such a great bass player as they have and to continuously push his bass into the very back of the production is a shame.
I agree with everything here.

bad lyrics or not, Annihilator slays.

I dunno man... I just cant get round the silliness. I mean, the way I see it, there are two kinds of silly.

'awesome' silly, like Nile's Masturbating the War God, then theres 'this is an embaressment to metal' silly, like Anihilators's Knight jumps Queen.

Its a shame, cos I really like the music, & production. But the silly lyrics & crap vocals really dont do it for me.