Controversial opinions on metal

I dunno why people always compare DT to Symphony X. I mean, other than that theyre both prog bands with high levels of musicianship, I cant see much similarity. Most of Michael Romeo's stuff is Diatonic, Most of John Petrucci's stuff is Mode-based. & its not just the guitars either, The Symphony X drummer is much more concise than Mike Portnoy. When was the last time you heard Symphony's drummer filling for two bars in the middle of nowhere?

Its like that unmerited Nile/Behemoth comparison that always seems to pop up. Other than being in similar genres or the same in the case of DT & SX there isnt that much in common.

I was speaking from a dynamic and production standpoint. And 'old' is referring mainly to the 'Awake' album... Sy-X tend to sound as if they're trying to play 'The Mirror/Lie' backwards, forwards, diagonally, and zig-zagged, on many of their songs.

Yeah DT and SX eally arent very much alike other than that they are prog metal bands that uses clean vocals (which really doesnt say a whole lot). With that being said I definately prefer DT to SX any day of the week. Im not sure if the "drummer filling for two bars in the middle of nowhere" comment was meant as a negative but for me thats a positive with DT in general. SX often drift to far into the uninspired power metal land for my taste.

and re: Portnoy, I don't think I've ever heard him play anything that excited me. I hate almost every drum sound he's ever had on any album (it's pretty good on the first OSI), and his brand of technicality and feel is just too bland and loose somehow. I don't know how exactly to explain it. But I generally just don't care or pay attention to anything anyone in DT does anymore except for Myung.

Symphony X's main purpose is for impressing Prog Chicks simply by knowing they exist. Though perhaps that's not always the best outcome in such situations.

Symphony X impresses prog chicks or chicks for that matter ?, interesting. I'm assuming fat chicks.

what does a prog chick look like ?

Actually, the one I had in mind was actually pretty damn cute.

But for the most part, just normal girls. Who are just far, far too fangirlish for their own good. The bad side of it is listening to music that you don't really like to impress someone else. Really not good for the old self esteem.

I like some bands like Oracle (Gibraltar) and Hels (Swe) that no one has heard of more than I like a lot of the stuff people on here wank over.

All you need from Symphony X is TDG, DWOT, and TIO. All of the stuff after that, along with their debut is pretty lackluster.

I like some bands like Oracle (Gibraltar) and Hels (Swe) that no one has heard of more than I like a lot of the stuff people on here wank over.

Same, except different bands, haven't heard those bands. But the thing is with the more unknowns, if you don't have a huge slobbering chorus of people behind you on the opinion, you tend to be looked at like a fanboy if you rave over them. :puke: Quite mysterious..

All you need from Symphony X is TDG, DWOT, and TIO. All of the stuff after that, along with their debut is pretty lackluster.

You like TIO? I have heard TIO, V, Oddyssey and paradise lost and to me TIO is by far the worst. Uninspired and really quite boring and bad. I also tend to think that V is very overrated. Alot of people view it as Symphony X's masterpiece. I just cant see why. Loads better than TIO though.

People shouldn't talk about horribly average bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X when good prog metal exists. That's my controversial opinion.

I find Odin's Court more enjoyable than both.