Controversial opinions on metal

divine torture, you clearly misunderstand the true essence of metal.

There is something to be said for this. Newer metal bands may have improved technically on what the older bands did, but there's also a matter of the charisma and spirit behind the music, which most modern bands fail miserably at conveying.

I've even already said I like JP's/Sabbath's music, I just can't get past the vocals/vocalist. Some of you can't seperate that though.

If Ozzy/Dio/Halford are the "essence of metal" then we need to relabel like 95% of the rest of metal.

I'm referring to it all in one nice bundle. Those bands had heart. Those bands broke boundaries. Those bands created the path for the bands I now love. I just don't like how they sound.

EDIT: I do like Sabbath and Priest. Can't listen to Motorhead, AC/DC, Maiden...Just so we know I don't dislike all the classic bands.

He's decrepit now.
459px-Lemmy_K.jpg

Really?

Also, fair warning: anyone using the term "sheeple" gets put on ignore instantly, no exceptions.

itt WAIF fails reading comprehension.
Oh, you like Maiden. Okay. That's more like it.
You still suck, though.

How so? Because I don't like an older, influential band? Again, I respect what they did, but I just don't like it. It's not my style, it's not a genre I enjoy. And I'm sure Lemmy would agree: It's about individuality. He'd probably respect me not liking his music because it doesn't appeal to me over someone liking it just 'cause that's what they think they should do.

I was kidding :p

I think my eyes are bleeding from all the fail in this thread.

Seriously, how could someone not like Halford's voice? He has one of the best voices in metal.

More and more I'm beginning to think half the people on this board are faggots. There are people who don't like:

Maiden
Priest
Motorhead
Black Sabbath

Like, what the fuck is wrong with all of you? Did you hit your head when you fell off the metal tree?

Maiden - a few songs
Priest - same
Motorhead - never liked
Black Sabbath - fucking :kickass:

there are so many other metal bands worthwhile(and yet undiscovered by myself) so i don't bother wasting my time listening to stuff i've heard 37463280 times.

Sorry, Halford's vocals are superior as is JP's music. Judas Priest's music has much more diversity to boot.

Um, what? Maiden had three pretty distinctive sounds between each of their vocalists. They also had a wide variety of moods, between the wild rockers ("Sanctuary", "Murders in the Rue Morgue"), the long epics ("Powerslave", "Fear of the Dark", "Paschendale"), the intricate prog pieces ("Phantom of the Opera"), the anthems ("Aces High", "Run to the Hills"), and the sentimental ballads ("No Prayer for the Dying", "Lord of the Flies"). How much of that territory did Priest cover?

holy shit, me and ohio had a high-five moment. Only Omni and Dodens left I think. The odds are low but hey, stranger things have happened.

Edit: Yeah, using ignore is pretty ignorant.