Controversial opinions on metal

At the Gates' The Red in the Sky is Ours, The Chasm's Deathcult For Eternity, and Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun are the three best extreme metal albums barring probably Burzum's HLTO and Darkthrone's ABitNS.

Yea, I know people love it and so, it's very inventive and dynamic and what not, but the bass on the album annoys me for some reason, dancing underneath like a one-legged hooker with a poor grip on the pole.
I'm talking about At the Gates.

Controversial opinions on metal. Hmm. I'd like a word with people who praise instrumental pieces on black metal albums that are obviously made with chintzy Casios...examples coming to mind are "Sorgens Kammer" by Dimmu Borgir and basically any of the junk that Varg made in jail.

Never let a keyboard do a violin's work, though in the case of Pensees Nocturnes I think they did an okay job.

I like classic death metal a little more than classic black metal and modern bm a little more than modern bm I guess. That statement mostly being based on the fact that I listen to stuff like Altars of Madness, Onward to Golgotha, and Dawn of Possession more when listening to death metal and stuff like SMRC or Fourth Reich more with black metal.

Never let a keyboard do a violin's work

Actually, in power metal I generally prefer keyboards to real orchestras. Dunno why. I tend to like non-symphonic European power metal that lacks polished production, and cheap keyboards help with that sound.

I don't mind orchestras; in fact, they can be quite effective undescoring the arrangements. Processed synths and jarring saxophones tick me off sometimes.

Both the saxophone and the piano can do wonders if used tastefully and with restraint.

Death metal from the 80's and 90's > death metal from 2000 to now.
It seems to me that black metal has been fairly consistent in quality since the 90's, while death metal has gone down the "proverbial shitter". Either way, I like them both about the same.

Death metal from the 80's and 90's > death metal from 2000 to now.
It seems to me that black metal has been fairly consistent in quality since the 90's, while death metal has gone down the "proverbial shitter". Either way, I like them both about the same.

I agree. I am finding that most death metal that I listen to (unintentionally) is mostly coming from the early to mid 90s.

As for a perhaps controversial opinion on metal, I find that, for the most part, I enjoy music that tends to mix styles together instead of just straight black or straight death. If a band restricts itself to only one genre I tend to find them boring for the most part, even if I enjoy the majority of their songs separately.

Balls to Brave New World.

Somewhere in time is a great album.

People who ignore Painkiller and Defenders of the Faith so they can say Priest aren't metal or aren't as metal as Maiden are complete fucktards who need to find a different genre of music to listen to.

I really don't care about whatever Slayer, Megadeth or Metallica come out with any more. These old bands kind of say it all when they make crude references to later more underground scenes and whatnot. Times have changed. I don't see why every old metal band seems to be busting their nuts to release a Christian orientated Limp Bizkit tribute album anyway. The fuck?

Well it's an exaggeration. There is an undeniable tendency for old bands to go down the woah ho niggas wur playin metahls route.

I thought it was the other way around, where new "Christian" oriented Limp Bizkit worshipping bands released covers of old school metal classics.