Controversial opinions on metal

Interestingly, this can work both ways. I've asked several people on the net with poor attention spans, and some of them replied that they like ultra-technical stuff better because they need to be constantly entertained for the music to keep their attention which why they dislike most droning metal, that is often too drawn-out and tedious for them to enjoy.
I prefer the more droning type, in general(unless it's too deliberately sluggish or overly dense), in addition to those metal bands whose sound has overt rock n'rollish tendencies. Of course droning metal with quality riffs is an all-out-win in my book.

did you check out the captain beyond s/t yet. coz you should!!!

I've also come to dislike very obscure production, something so dense that it makes my head hurt. Stuff like Emperor, for instance. Their albums are often so impenetrable despite being super atmospheric
In addition, I'd like to comment and say that anyone who rates their debut highly but gives their sophomore effort a nether-realm rating is being a biased cunt. That is all.

In fact, I'd like to go on record of saying that Emperor might have some of the worst produced albums in all extreme metal.(discounting such ultra-raw crap like Krieg and Ildjarn). Hissy, trebly and suffocating. That's not to say they don't have a couple of amazing songs scattered throughout their catalogue. Into the Infinity of Thoughts and I Am The Black Wizards are genius, for instance.
And for the last nail in my coffin(ha) I'd like to say that the production on Dimmu's PEM is much better than on any Emperor album. At least the whipping boys' songwriting shines through the somewhat smothering production, something I can't say about Emperor, unfortunately. Am I wrong, am I right, or just deaf and dumb? Who cares? This is the controversial bitching thread.

In fact, I'd like to go on record of saying that Emperor might have some of the worst produced albums in all extreme metal.(discounting such ultra-raw crap like Krieg and Ildjarn). Hissy, trebly and suffocating.

I agree about the production on everything after ITNE, but the production on that album is imo absolutely perfect.

Dimmu Borgir was never good in any way, shape, or form. I'd say Dimmu, Cradle, and Lamb of God are 3 of the absolute worst metal bands to ever make an album.

Actually, if you adjust the EQ settings properly, ATTWAD has a killer production. Obviously, we are all used to recordings that are heavy on the bass and treble, but when an album that has a lot of gain on the mid-level frequencies, it sounds somewhat unpleasant. With a few minor adjustments, all the subtle nuances and eclectic instrumentation of songs like "The Loss and Curse of Reverence" and "Thus Spake The Nightspirit" really shine through. The same cannot be said for ITNE, for the production on that album is far to muddy and can't really be tweaked to sound clear no matter what you do.

VB: I think it's just because Dimmu Borgir sell more records than other BM bands which says exactly diddly squat about the quality of their music. Death have also been shafted by the self-enlightened crowd for having too many rabid fans foaming at the mouth. Yet bands like The Chasm are promoted as the lightbringers of modern DM while aesthetically they're often as dense and excessive in their technicality as Chuck and co. And what about Atheist? Double standards, yawn.

Actually, if you adjust the EQ settings properly, ATTWAD has a killer production. Obviously, we are all used to recordings that are heavy on the bass and treble, but when an album that has a lot of gain on the mid-level frequencies, it sounds somewhat unpleasant. With a few minor adjustments, all the subtle nuances and eclectic instrumentation of songs like "The Loss and Curse of Reverence" and "Thus Spake The Nightspirit" really shine through. The same cannot be said for ITNE, for the production on that album is far to muddy and can't really be tweaked to sound clear no matter what you do.
I used to love Emperor to death, Anthems in particular; it's at times amazingly hypnotic, but ultimately, jarring.

Dimmu Borgir was never good in any way, shape, or form. I'd say Dimmu, Cradle, and Lamb of God are 3 of the absolute worst metal bands to ever make an album.

Get back to your cotton gin.

Lamb of God have some good albums (Ashes, Sacrament, Wrath). Also Dimmu Borgir has put out EDT and Stormblast so you fucking fail.