Controversial opinions on metal

Listen to Emperial Live Ceremony, the sound there is pretty killer (minus the trig-drums, go to hell Trym :erk:) and fitting for the music, it's more audible and makes you hear stuff you haven't noticed before.

(minus the trig-drums, I'm a whiny little faggot)
Why do people hate on triggers so much? Should we hate on keyboards because the keyboardist is just pressing a button to make those sounds instead of playing all the instruments in the orchestra himself?

In addition, I'd like to comment and say that anyone who rates their debut highly but gives their sophomore effort a nether-realm rating is being a biased cunt. That is all.

Or they recognize that the two albums are way different. Not that I don't like Anthems anyway, just sayin'.

Or they recognize that the two albums are way different. Not that I don't like Anthems anyway, just sayin'.
Good to know you're a fan of both.
Yea, they're different in atmosphere,and ITNE is more minimalistic,with haunting synths at the background, but still, they're both quite overproduced and very dense, you've gotta admit. Anthems is very treble-y with keyboards pushed to the forefront, playing swirling melodies in accordance with the guitars. Still, though interesting in composition, it's just so busy, thanks to Trym's frantic drumming. In fact, alll of their albums seem to be improperly mixed, with one instrument often overemphasized, overriding or clashing with another.

Dimmu Borgir was never good in any way, shape, or form. I'd say Dimmu, Cradle, and Lamb of God are 3 of the absolute worst metal bands to ever make an album.

Oh come now, they're nowhere near as bad as their low-budget clones! :rolleyes:

I'll sling some shit. Cradle of Filth have some of the most advanced and well done atmospheric/dramatic keyboard/strings work in metal and their recorded albums ~Midian are kickass.

(They really do suck ass live though)

Cradle of Filth are ludicrously over dramatic, theatrical and utterly distasteful. Listen to Obtained Enslavement's Witchcraft and tell me if you have the same opinion.

Also, fuck post ITNE Emperor. There's two good things about Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk: the riff Euronymous wrote and The Wanderer.

I used to listen to Cradle and Dimmu when I was like 13yo, now I wouldn't think of playing any of it.

Cradle of Filth are ludicrously over dramatic, theatrical and utterly distasteful. Listen to Obtained Enslavement's Witchcraft and tell me if you have the same opinion.

But what if that's your thing? I think that's the entire point of CoF isn't it - they're all about melodramatic vampire bullshit with photospreads of ladies covered in fake blood, and that makes lots of people happy. As an obese teenage mallgoth they were just the thing I needed. Now I feel like a traitor for lambasting something I enjoyed so much when I was younger and rounder.

I'll go home and listen to "Witchcraft" after work, but I'm betting it's not even shooting for the same effect.

Also, fuck post ITNE Emperor. There's two good things about Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk: the riff Euronymous wrote and The Wanderer.

That's such bullshit. Really... out of that whole album the best riff just happens to be the one that Euronymous wrote? Come on. That is an excellent fucking album. So is the one after it.

Yes actually it is. The only weak song on the whole thing is 'The Modern Warriors of Death' which is pretty blah. Otherwise fucking killer. Curse You All Men, Source of Icon E, Elagy of Icarous, Of Blindness and Subsequent Seers... all fucking sick. I don't see why an Emperor fan wouldn't love this disc. The one after it however is not much to my liking. It has some good stuff but overrall has too much emphasis on complexity.

ITNE is one I'd actually rank towards the bottom; I'd actually rank Wrath of the Tyrant above it. ATTWAD and IX are practically a tie, IMO. Prometheus is their worst, however, though "Prophet" is one of their best songs.

Wow... interesting difference of opinion. INTE is for me clearly their best CD and WOTT is so awful as to be unlistenable.

Yet bands like The Chasm are promoted as the lightbringers of modern DM while aesthetically they're often as dense and excessive in their technicality as Chuck and co.

tbh i think that is total crap, but let's not argue my good man! i do think that every non-deathcult chasm album could do with a bit of editing.