Controversial opinions on metal

On this board, yea.
But you still like The Chasm and dislike Death without noticing even a jot of similarity between the two.:erk:

Because there isn't any between the two. You complained that The Chasm has moments of wankery, when they clearly do not and the only way you could back yourself up was by saying "The guitar tone sucks."

I'm sorry, but what? I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion but don't be a fucking idiot about it and throw out something completely unrelated just because you don't want to properly explain yourself (or are in fact unable to which in this situation is almost 100% surely the case.)

All I wanted was for some of you to open up and embrace the fact that some of what you dislike is at times aesthetically similar to what you glorify.Why?? Why not? Why blindly dismiss everything mainstream as inferior? But whatever; we've been through this before, and I have failed again, it seems. Even likely allies won't take my side on this. Maybe my ears are not as trustworthy as they used to be, or maybe Zephyrus doesn't want to upset the balance as much as I do. Regardless of the reason, I give up.

It really seems like this is your main motivation in pursuing this, as if there's a circle of elitist users here that proclaim to like the same bunch of bands and albums and dislike others for completely irrational reasons such as "they're mainstream" or "they sold out". I think cookiecutter summed it up fairly well a few pages ago by noting that it's the certain elements in the music that might make a band particularly popular that he dislikes rather than the fact that the band is popular in itself.

I also honestly don't see the similarities between Necromantia and Dimmu Borgir. They're worlds apart.

I agree...I hate all things Pantera. This includes, but not limited to: Pantera, Superjoint Ritual, Damage Plan, Hell Yeah, and Down.

It really seems like this is your main motivation in pursuing this, as if there's a circle of elitist users here that proclaim to like the same bunch of bands and albums and dislike others for completely irrational reasons such as "they're mainstream" or "they sold out". I think cookiecutter summed it up fairly well a few pages ago by noting that it's the certain elements in the music that might make a band particularly popular that he dislikes rather than the fact that the band is popular in itself.

I also honestly don't see the similarities between Necromantia and Dimmu Borgir. They're worlds apart.

But do you honestly find my comparisons between the two so far-fetched? I mean, I'm not trying to compare Krieg to Metallica here. And just as proof of the matter: there are people on this board who enjoy both albums regardless of cult status. And challenge-everything, for instance, loves The Chasm and Death almost equally. Or at least I think he does.

Also, what about Summonnig. for one? Are their albums so varied in mood and ambience that one needs to promote them as works of genius, when in all fairness they've been treading the same ground since 1995?. It's akin to finding all Burzum albums worthy of praise just because it was Varg who composed them. Do you think that this new album would've been discussed as much had it been released by some obscure LLN band? I don't think so.

Also, all my essays have been left unanswered by the guys from DLA, and I know that Falco lurks often on these boards, and he is quick to put down the opinions of others using extraordinary erudition, and if that doesn't help, homoerotic innuendos. Yet he has not intervened even once.

Mine would probably be scaled as follows:

Pantera ::Smug:
Superjoint: :erk:
Down: :ill:
Damage Plan: :cry:
Hell Yeah : :puke:

EDIT: fuckin ninja

Pantera: Bad
Superjoint: Equally bad
Down: slightly better but still not good
Damage Plan: oh god this sucks
Hell Yeah: lmao if you listen to this you just need to FOAD.

More like:
Pantera - 0
SJR - 0
Down - 1
Damage Plan - 0
HellYeah - lower than 0

Pantera: Bad
Superjoint: Equally bad
Down: slightly better but still not good
Damage Plan: oh god this sucks
Hell Yeah: lmao if you listen to this you just need to FOAD.

Did you forget you posted the above, or did you find the need to explain that a 0 means bad, and that a 1 is slightly better than 0?

Yeah you'll be surprised at the amount of Pantera hate in these forums...I personally think they are great when the time is right, it's good for working out or if I'm going out to some club I might put Vulgar Display on or something to get in the mood.

Yeah, I like me some Pantera as well. I only did check out them until "the great sothern trendkill" though (never heard the hair metal stuff either). I love it though. Very groovy at time, catchy at times, heavy and just plain good. I always saw Slayer and Pantera as the two big bands for people who just went from GNR or Metallica or AC/DC inte heavier music when I was a child. I always prefered Pantera to Slayer. I sadly never got to see them in concert though.

I saw Pantera 3 times live and am not ashamed to admit it. Yes, Phil was strung out on junk and his vocals were horrible, but Dime, Vinny, and Rex were tight as fuck and even better live than the recordings. Pantera was just one of those bands that never failed to whip my neck into a banging frenzy despite their low-brow song structures. There's a lot to be said for the fun factor, which unfortunately, too often gets neglected in metal music.
BTW, I'm willing to bet if Phil Anselmo wasn't involved in Viking Crown or Necrophagia there would be a lot more love for these bands.

Because there isn't any between the two. You complained that The Chasm has moments of wankery, when they clearly do not and the only way you could back yourself up was by saying "The guitar tone sucks."
How am I to prove that there is wankery on Deathcult, dude? You've got ears for that. Listen to the second track on the album, for instance. Don't you hear that "wham wham wham wham wham wham"? Is that supposed to be evocative or something? And Gorguts don't wank their instruments with pinch harmonics overload on top of the metal-corish vocals? Give me a break, seriously.

How am I to prove that there is wankery on Deathcult, dude? You've got ears for that. Listen to the second track on the album, for instance. Don't you hear that "wham wham wham wham wham wham"? Is that supposed to be evocative or something? And Gorguts don't wank their instruments with pinch harmonics overload on top of the metal-corish vocals? Give me a break, seriously.

The opening few moments I'm going to assume you're speaking of. I really don't see how that constitutes as wankery or anything close to it.

Nothing in No Mercy is out of place, nothing strikes me as jarring, nothing leaves me going "Uh, come on dudes that wasn't needed."

Now had you pulled an example from say The Spell of Retribution I might have understood, because I'll be honest and say that album is definitely a step or three below The Chasm's usual standards and did leave me going "Uh, come on now" at some points, but aside from that absolutely nothing they've done has any such moments.

And yeah so Gorguts use pinch harmonics, but if you can't see the difference between them using them and say Necrophagist using them its just something I guess you'll never see. Also metal-coreish vocals? What? MAYBE on From Wisdom to Hate, MAYBE but otherwise no.